• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Insurances

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor Insurances

I'm an IPSE plus member but my last few contracts have not stipulated any other insurances so IPSE + has covered my company needs.

However for a new contract starting January the agency is insisting on: Professional Indemnity, Public Liability (both £1m) and Employers Liability.

I'm a PM / Programme Mgr so these are probably unnecessary but required to "tick the box"

Is the consensus still that QDOS is the best place for these (and includes free contract review)

Thanks

Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
    I'm an IPSE plus member but my last few contracts have not stipulated any other insurances so IPSE + has covered my company needs.

However for a new contract starting January the agency is insisting on: Professional Indemnity, Public Liability (both £1m) and Employers Liability.

I'm a PM / Programme Mgr so these are probably unnecessary but required to "tick the box"

Is the consensus still that QDOS is the best place for these (and includes free contract review)

Thanks
    It annoys me when they insist on obtaining insurance you don't need, Employers Liability is only required if you employ someone and professional indemnity is only required if you give advice for a fee

Comment

Originally posted by DietCokeMan View Post
      It annoys me when they insist on obtaining insurance you don't need, Employers Liability is only required if you employ someone and professional indemnity is only required if you give advice for a fee
      Well surely you've agreed a substitution clause and are wanting to be a company supplying services so surely the client would then expect you to hold EL to cover them. If you dont have it then you can substitute and you've got an IR35 problem no?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

professional indemnity is only required if you give advice for a fee
        what sort of contractor isn't selling his experience, and by implication advising the client?
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          what sort of contractor isn't selling his experience, and by implication advising the client?
          If you carry out the work you don't need PI, it's if you give advice only

Comment

So a technical lead or architect need it.
            Surely a PM also. The only people I can think of that do all the work and don't provide any guidance would be a programmer working inside IR35.

I may have this wrong, but I can be sued if I screw up, or give bad advice.
            Last edited by Lance; 28 November 2016, 12:39. Reason: oops
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              So a technical lead or architect need it.
              Surely a PM also. The only people I can think of that do all the work and don't provide any guidance would be a programmer working inside IR35.

I may have this wrong, but I can be sued if I screw up, or give bad advise.
              Give bad what?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Give bad what?
                Quick off the mark today aren't you?
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I used Simply Business as they were a bit cheaper than QDOS and I thought QDOS would have matched it given that I was v good customer for last 5 years.

PM me if you want a referral code.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

"If you are alleged to have provided inadequate advice, services or designs to a client, professional indemnity insurance provides cover for the legal costs and expenses in defending the claim, as well as compensation payable to your client to rectify the mistake."

I would class project management under services. Also your contract is likely to be specifically a 'contract for services'.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X