• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HS2 - Public Sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS2 - Public Sector

was having a debate on the weekend with a couple of mates as to whether HS2 was public or private sector gig, from the perspective of HMRC given the new tax rules for PS contractors.

quick look on their website seems a little ambiguous to me in that in that it says they're an "executive non departmental government body" but also say it is it's own limited company

anyone know the definitive answer, trying to gage whether it's a viable option for future work

An "executive non departmental government body" is public sector.

It's 'gauge'
    Last edited by Lance; 28 November 2016, 11:05. Reason: spelling
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Is the company / organisation subject to a Freedom of Information request? If they are, then it's in the rules. If not, then it's not.

Unless the definition changes in the legislation - find out next week.
      First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        An "executive non departmental government body" is public sector.

It's 'gauge' ling

some of the £900 p/d contractors are in for a surprise then

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
          was having a debate on the weekend with a couple of mates as to whether HS2 was public or private sector gig, from the perspective of HMRC given the new tax rules for PS contractors.

quick look on their website seems a little ambiguous to me in that in that it says they're an "executive non departmental government body" but also say it is it's own limited company

anyone know the definitive answer, trying to gage whether it's a viable option for future work
          Is HS2 Ltd legally obliged to respond to FOI requests? If so, they are. I think they are obliged.

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
            Is the company / organisation subject to a Freedom of Information request? If they are, then it's in the rules. If not, then it's not.

Unless the definition changes in the legislation - find out next week.
            Sorry, didn't spot this. Anyway, agreed.

Comment

looks like they are subject to FOI's

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...disclosure-log

Comment

As well as the FOI link above....

It's hosted on Gov.uk

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...ed-two-limited

It uses the Gov Framework for tenders

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/hs2-business

It's a bill..

On 25 November 2013, the government deposited a hybrid Bill with Parliament to secure the powers to construct and maintain Phase One of HS2 between London and the West Midlands. The Bill is titled ‘High Speed Rail (London - West Midlands) Bill’.
                and so on...

At this moment I think there is little doubt about it.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

At this moment I think there is little doubt about it.
                  my inclination was that it was Public Sector but a few permie mates I know who work there seemed to think they weren't because they weren't subject to the same PS employment terms / benefits

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
                    they [permies] weren't subject to the same PS employment terms / benefits
                    there is no single PS employment benefit. NHS is different to civil service, different to police, different to councils. etc.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X