• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving for contracting from abroad - UK address

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving for contracting from abroad - UK address

Hi,

I will be moving from abroad (Czech Republic) to Belfast, start contracting (via LTD.) as Data Enginner trough Hays for City Bank.
    I will be starting from January, but Hays woud like to me have an address in UK and company ready (which also require UK address, mainly for bank account..) in December.
    Ideally I would like to go Belfast in January, rent some room in shared flat or use AirBnb for few weeks and than find some whole flat to rent from February (because then my girlfriend will join me also..).

I would like to ask, if there is anybody with experience of similar situation? What do you reccomend in this scenario, because of early need of UK address?

I have and option to rent some whole flat in advance, but this is not so good, because I would like to get to know Belfast little bit before choosing long term location and flat.
    Or maybe better solution could be rent some shared flat for few weeks earlier in December and use this temporary address for company formation, Bank account etc.
    Or wait and do everything in January, it will be easiest because I will already live in Belfast, but then I will have problem that I can§t earn money before arranging everything with company and Bank account and long term flat renting...

Thanks.

Hi Oldrich,
    I've moved your thread out of General in the hope you'll get some serious answers.

Have you asked Hays for advice on getting a UK company set up?

As for finding somewhere to rent, it depends on what you are going to do for transport and how much you are prepared to pay. I'd probably look around the Holywood Road, Sydenham or further out towards Holywood itself.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Belfast rocks, you will have a ball....I did
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Getting a bank account at a random UK address you don't live it isn't going to work is it? And how are you going to pass any compliance checks either?

I had a look through some older threads asking the same question and none of them had a solution either so guess it's going to be pretty difficult

I'd say you are better off just going via an umbrella. Try contacting Contractor Umbrella who post on here a lot and get set up with them.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Have you asked Hays if they can assist? They have a vested interest in you doing the gig.

Comment

it's a long shot, but see if one of the accountancy firms who setup LTD companies on your behalf will provide a director. They often do company secretary, but the company has to have at least one director.

But your best bet is to use an umbrella at least until you have everything ready for a LTD.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I'd say you are better off just going via an umbrella. Try contacting Contractor Umbrella who post on here a lot and get set up with them.
              This is your best as safest bet. Giving the fact that you are obviously not committed to move to UK, operating a ltd. for a single contract is just not worthwhile.

Getting your personal bank account is just the first, small hurdle, for Hays to pay you, you will need a business bank account which is much more problematic and nigh impossible without strong proof of UK address and personal bank account and even then takes week or two.

I doubt you have even a slightest grasp of what your responsibilities are going to be while running ltd. especially the fiscal ones. Do yourself a favour and use an Umbrella to begin with, if you like it and want to increase your take home pay - switch to ltd. for your next contract.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post

I doubt you have even a slightest grasp of what your responsibilities are going to be while running ltd. especially the fiscal ones.
                the word you are looking for is fiduciary
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Oldrich Smejkal View Post
                  Hi,

I will be moving from abroad (Czech Republic) to Belfast, start contracting (via LTD.) as Data Enginner trough Hays for City Bank.
                  I will be starting from January, but Hays woud like to me have an address in UK and company ready (which also require UK address, mainly for bank account..) in December.
                  Ideally I would like to go Belfast in January, rent some room in shared flat or use AirBnb for few weeks and than find some whole flat to rent from February (because then my girlfriend will join me also..).

I would like to ask, if there is anybody with experience of similar situation? What do you reccomend in this scenario, because of early need of UK address?

I have and option to rent some whole flat in advance, but this is not so good, because I would like to get to know Belfast little bit before choosing long term location and flat.
                  Or maybe better solution could be rent some shared flat for few weeks earlier in December and use this temporary address for company formation, Bank account etc.
                  Or wait and do everything in January, it will be easiest because I will already live in Belfast, but then I will have problem that I can§t earn money before arranging everything with company and Bank account and long term flat renting...

Thanks.
                  You need a UK address to open a UK bank account. And you need a proof of your address. That means bills in your name (gas, electricity, broadband) and a rental agreement. Some banks will not accept rental agreements made through an agency representing a private landlord. An umbrella company is your easiest solution, but you will still need a personal bank account.

Actually, what you need is a UK bank sort code and a bank account number, because that's what the agency's systems are set up for. Which means you can try to open a bank account with a branch of a UK bank in the Isle of Man, Jersey or Guernsey. They are used to dealing with foreigners.

You will still have to come to the UK to open it. I would book a cheap flight in to London in the first half of December and walk into a branch of one of the major UK banks in the City and just explain to them what your situation is and ask if they could offer help opening a current account in the Isle of Man, Jersey, or Guernsey. Bring your passport, a copy of the contract signed by Hays, proof of you address in the Czech Republic (rental agreement, latest utility bills (not older than 3 months), 3 latest bank account statements). There is no guarantee it will work, but that's how some of my European colleagues have managed to do it before getting a UK address.

Also, since Citibank have operations in the Czech Republic, why don't you get in touch with a local office and ask them if they can help you open a bank account for you in the UK? Or maybe even do some initial checks on behalf of the UK office? Also, see if HSBC have operations in the Czech Republic. They too are used to dealing with non-standard situations and expats.
                  You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

I have had agency's make payments into a foreign account.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X