• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nothing to do but client wants to keep me.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

haha.. that's hilarious! I guess a similar thing would happen here if I were to leave, they'd get someone else in to sit an do nothing, and pay them well to do so. May as well sit on the gravy train until something else comes along.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor123 View Post
      I was in a similar position for a while. The client kept renewing me for 6 months (3 times) and there was nothing to do... I even run out of personal projects to do at work, but had to stay put until house purchase was finalised.

The question begs why didn't use your right of substitution and put someone in who knows nowt, but can wear a suit and costs you £150 a day. I know a few people who'd do that.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Slice View Post
        haha.. that's hilarious! I guess a similar thing would happen here if I were to leave, they'd get someone else in to sit an do nothing, and pay them well to do so. May as well sit on the gravy train until something else comes along.
        The only downside to it is being able to talk about what you delivered in the role during any future interviews...
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          The question begs why didn't use your right of substitution and put someone in who knows nowt, but can wear a suit and costs you £150 a day. I know a few people who'd do that and my cut is 20% of the full day rate.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Had this more than a few times, I would usually wait till after a renewal and hit them with - ok, I am well up to speed but I reckon I am about 50% utilised, is there anything I can get involved in to help out.
            Not bothered if it's the same work etc.

This has NEVER resulted in a contract ending and rarely resulted in more work beyond a few bits they think is weeks of work but is actually a couple of days.
            After this chat I have no concerns about cruising from that point, working a steady 9-4pm etc. If called on it, I would simply refer to previous conversation....

The reason you are normally kept on is everyone else is 'too busy' or claims to be so the boss still has to find someone to do the half a job you are doing.
            In addition, keeping someone is easy - still need joe ? Yeah. ok.
            Getting someone new is a nightmare - yeah, CEO has to see anything over 20k.

I use the spare time to further my Financial Independence education...

Comment

Originally posted by Slice View Post
              Thanks for clarifying, I understand what you mean. I share your concerns hence why even tho I know BaU are snowed under I'm not touching it with a barge pole and not offering to help!

Cheers for your advice!
              Maybe there's an opportunity there? Howabout suggesting to the client you look at why they're snowed under\root cause and all that and come up with a solution?

Comment

Could someone please send me links to these "do nothing and get paid for it" roles on Jobserve. I've been searching for years and have never found one...

I really do fancy a "fully invoiced" break for 6 months.*

(* I've a Kindle full of new books to get through.)
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Haha!! Yes, perhaps I should count my blessings!!

I'm just one of those sorts of people that likes to be busy, perhaps I should learn to enjoy taking it easy.

It seems with every contract I do, there are lulls along the way. And I go through times like this where they want to keep me but there's nothing to do, just in case something comes up. Perhaps just the nature of projects that are coming to an end.

Comment

I think it comes down to a number of factors only you will know as I have been in this situation. How much do you like the client/people you work with environment etc? How easy is it to sit and do other things internet etc to busy yourself? If you can't as you said will you find it unbearable to 'pretend' to work? Can you afford to be out of work? Would you be happy to put yourself out of work? What is your notice period?

For me I would find it hard to walk away from a decent rate but I hate sitting there 'pretending to be busy' so I would compromise by staying a bit longer (especially if I had a weeks notice) keep looking and leave for a new job or till I had really reached the point of I've really had enough which ever came first.

Comment

Smartphone, privacy screen, Bluetooth mouse connected to phone, Earbuds, Feedly, podcasts, Rosseta stone. Whatever you prefer.

Only you know how long you can keep it up for.

Personally I prefer working from home. Although there are numerous other threads discussing potential perception issues from colleagues. If your working pattern from home is exceptional or frowned upon by management within the organisation, you could find yourself getting canned within a few months.

Kind regards,
                      Lecyclist
                      ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Working...
                      X