• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client not flexible with hours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    Pair programming... run... run fast...

TBH it's about time Agile and all this associated rubbish was banned, worst thing to happen to software engineering since.. errrmm ever...
    Agile is good when it is done well and bad when it is done badly. Anyone who thinks it's bad is probably doing it badly.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
      Agile is good when it is done well and bad when it is done badly. Anyone who thinks it's bad is probably doing it badly.
      ...or not doing it at all, or applying it to the wrong problem.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        WTFH is going to Japan soon so when he delegates is Mod permissions to me I'll know hell has frozen over
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Pair programming is not agile, eXtreme programming mandates it if memory serves, agile is a methodology not a hard and fast way of working, and yes when done well it adds a lot of value. 100% pair programming is unsustainable IMO (having been there and done it for a while).

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
            Pair programming is not agile, eXtreme programming mandates it if memory serves, agile is a methodology not a hard and fast way of working, and yes when done well it adds a lot of value. 100% pair programming is unsustainable IMO (having been there and done it for a while).
            Although I'm an Agile advocate, I'm not one for pair programming. It's useful sometimes, not most of the time, and anyone who advocates doing it all the time is just an ideologue. And it really hinders my browsing of CUK.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
              Although I'm an Agile advocate, I'm not one for pair programming. It's useful sometimes, not most of the time, and anyone who advocates doing it all the time is just an ideologue. And it really hinders my browsing of CUK.
              Yes agree re pairing I find that a lot of the time one person is typing and the other acting as a spellchecker or the IDE (you've missed a semi colon there, no tulip Sherlock IntelliJ already told me!) pairing on some stories is fine where complexity mandates it or as a way of introducing new devs to the stack. Code reviews (done property) are much more use IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                You can still rock up early to avoid the rush hour and stay till 5:30.

If you do so regularly, you might find they come to always expect a 10 hour day from you.

But every client is different...
                FTFY.

Comment

The whole sorry affair is finally over after 2 weeks

I had car trouble this morning so I emailed them to say I'd be a bit late. Walked in at 10 am and 15 minutes later I'm out.

The reason? Talking about non project related stuff to my team mate when I was already 1 hour late and buying a coffee on the way in which meant I could have been 10 minutes earlier had I not bought it.

Square peg in round hole is the expression that springs to mind on this one... Hey ho, time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post

I had car trouble this morning so I emailed them to say I'd be a bit late. Walked in at 10 am and 15 minutes later I'm out.

The reason? Talking about non project related stuff to my team mate when I was already 1 hour late and buying a coffee on the way in which meant I could have been 10 minutes earlier had I not bought it.

Square peg in round hole is the expression that springs to mind on this one... Hey ho, time to move on.
                    Oh dear. Sounds like you've dodged a bullet to be fair... but... You emailed them to say you would be late? I mean.. email? That's possible the worst medium you could have picked. What's wrong with speaking to people on the phone, particularly when it's you inconveniencing them?

And car trouble. Deciding whether to use the Bentley or the Porsche shouldn't make you an hour late should it?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post

You need to talk to people on the phone when you have issues not email them.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the email that got you kicked off the project.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X