• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BAE systems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been a couple of times to Barrow on Client business.

Tried the fly to Manchester and drive the rest. As someone suggested earlier its not worth the hassle, by the time you have got out the airport, got on the bus to the hire car place, collected your car you may well have just driven all the way.

I have made the full journey by road took me about 6 hours, but that was on a Sunday and billable.

Used the company plane straight to Walney Island, but as its only an 8 seater so getting a place is difficult enough with a Client Business need, let alone a contractor wanting to go up. Also it is quite common to be bumped off if a senior manger wants the seat.

Comment

Unless you want to develop a chronic alcohol problem, my advice would be to bring lots of books.
      Last edited by FrontEnder; 18 October 2016, 12:46.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
        Unless you want t odevelop a chronic alcohol problem, my advice would be to bring lots of books.
        No internet?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          No internet?
          It's dial up only once you get past Ulverston.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
            It's dial up only once you get past Ulverston.
            Makes sense; the M6 is still cobbled past Preston.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Makes sense; the M6 is still cobbled past Preston.
              To be fair it's proper f***ked all the way south of there at the moment as well.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                To be fair it's proper f***ked all the way south of there at the moment as well.
                Yep, good fun in the early hours of Monday morning driving down. M40's buggered up around J9 as well now.

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                  I moved from Barrow to East London at the age of 10, bit of a culture shock
                  Thats odd, I heard there were lots of barrow boys in the east end?
                  World's Best Martini

Comment

That was 20 years ago; with the 50 zones on the M6, the level of traffic on the M6. Even using the toll road, you're just missing the M6/M5 bottleneck and meeting the rest of the traffic at Cannock.

Depends whereabouts you are in London and what time you're travelling but it could easily go over 8 hours.
                    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
                    That's me laughing hysterically at the four hour point, just before I'm hauled out of the vehicle by police. I've had a licence since the age of 19. I love driving. Actual driving. Not sitting in traffic. I've not owned a car for five years because it's not worth it in London. 8 hour drive? nope.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
                      hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
                      That's me laughing hysterically at the four hour point, just before I'm hauled out of the vehicle by police. I've had a licence since the age of 19. I love driving. Actual driving. Not sitting in traffic. I've not owned a car for five years because it's not worth it in London. 8 hour drive? nope.
                      I've got a 206 mile drive to London. Coming down, I can do it in less than 3.5 hours, setting off before 4am and arriving just after 7am.

Setting off on a Friday at 2pm, I'm "happy" to get home by 7-7:30 and that's with me knowing the back routes of Cheshire that I can use to get up to the M62/M60. You'd then have another x hours to go to get up to Barrow.

Friday southbound on the M6 looks carp too - Flight to MCR then train to Barrow looks safest. That said, it's annoying that the only London to Manchester flights are from Heathrow.

Comment

Working...
                      X