• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3 Week Christmas / NY Contractor Freeze

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Week Christmas / NY Contractor Freeze

Hi All,

Been a contractor about 10 years, thought I'd seen most things...
    However, informed by current client last week that they are planning to impose a 3 week contractor freeze (aka enforced 'holiday') over Christmas / NY.
    Has anyone else any experience of this? Have I just been lucky missing this previously? Has anyone successfully pushed back on such an imposition?

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Scrooge2017 View Post
    Hi All,

Been a contractor about 10 years, thought I'd seen most things...
    However, informed by current client last week that they are planning to impose a 3 week contractor freeze (aka enforced 'holiday') over Christmas / NY.
    Has anyone else any experience of this? Have I just been lucky missing this previously? Has anyone successfully pushed back on such an imposition? Have already advised client this will cause financial difficulties due to commitments (currently buying a property, due to complete before Christmas.)

Thanks in advance
    Completely normal these days. I haven't been able to work through Christmas at a client for the last 3 years.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Wow! I'm shocked. May have a little look at what else is available on the market. Not too pleased as no mention of it to me prior to last week and nothing in contract about it?

Comment

Wow! I'm shocked. May have a little look at what else is available on the market. Not too pleased as no mention of it to me prior to last week and nothing in contract about it?
        There's a whole thread on this here

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ced-leave.html
        "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

You'd sack a perfectly good gig just because they are offering you some quality time to enjoy with your family? Surely it's only two weeks as you'll be off over Xmas anyway? Add to that you've been made aware it's pretty common.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes both current client and the one I start next week are enforcing it. I can't wait. Nearly 3 weeks off. When I started contracting I told myself I'd take off 3 months every year to enjoy life. That has happened only once. I need people to force it on me

Comment

Ah thanks Major Hassle.

And no, this is not a perfectly good gig. This is the latest in a series of 'irritations.' Its hardly an 'offer' if it's enforced.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
                Yes both current client and the one I start next week are enforcing it. I can't wait. Nearly 3 weeks off. When I started contracting I told myself I'd take off 3 months every year to enjoy life. That has happened only once. I need people to force it on me
                I had 3 months off beginning of this year - highly recommended

Comment

I've personally never had one enforced, I was always made an exception.
                  Some years I would have rather I hadn't worked, it was as boring as hell.

Rate cuts, I have never had one of those either and I have worked in FS for a long time, not everyone gets treated the same.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I was at current client co 2 years ago over xmas, and they had a 2 week contracts break then.

REALLY hope they do the same (or even 3 weeks) again this time! They haven't mentioned it yet. Permies have all got their time off submitted and due to be approved this week, so guess us 'tractors will hear soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X