+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 39
  1. #11

    Fingers like lightning

    Hobosapien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    LA - la la fantasy land
    Posts
    636
    Thanks (Given)
    22
    Thanks (Received)
    21
    Likes (Given)
    39
    Likes (Received)
    125

    Default

    Or if they are still keen on you being on new project take time off while waiting for it to start. Gets you away from them trying to offload crap onto you and focuses their attention when they realise important resource may become unavailable if they try it on.

    If they've already covered the other project and you're not as important as they thought at renewal, choice is as others have said above.

    There's also the IR35 angle to consider which is defendable when project based but not so much when a dogsbody filling in for permies.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

  2. #12

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,312
    Thanks (Given)
    627
    Thanks (Received)
    574
    Likes (Given)
    4225
    Likes (Received)
    2415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Walking may or may not take time depending on the terms of the contract.

    I can walk today - my contract with the agency explicitly states as much but my agency's agreement with the end client is different (but I don't know nor care about the extent of the agreement). So even if I was annoyed I would be stating that I'm off next Friday (14th) to ensure there was a handover. No point annoying everyone and giving them a reason to be annoyed with you....

    Going back to the OP have you stated that the work you're being asked to do is not in your contract and if you are asked to do it you will be serving notice now... That may concentrate minds appropriately. Of course if you dislike it just ignore the warning part....
    This +1, very good advise advice

  3. #13

    Fingers like lightning

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    772
    Thanks (Given)
    9
    Thanks (Received)
    19
    Likes (Given)
    91
    Likes (Received)
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Willy Win View Post
    Will walking damage my reputation? I don't plan to work for this company or agent again but I'm not sure how to explain my leave to potential clients.
    No. You came to the end of the agreed work and left. If anything clients are happier that you'll walk once work is completed rather than hanging on to eek out every penny you can.

    Explain what to potential clients? Your contract is commercial in confidence so you're contracted leaving date is none of their business.

  4. #14

    Fingers like lightning

    missinggreenfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    670
    Thanks (Given)
    73
    Thanks (Received)
    32
    Likes (Given)
    275
    Likes (Received)
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    This clientco has already discovered that being unnecessarily rude to me means I walk out
    I can't imagine many people are unnecessarily rude to you

  5. #15

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    416
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    14
    Likes (Given)
    44
    Likes (Received)
    68

    Default

    1: Serve notice & walk away now as long as you have enough money & are confident the marketplace is busy enough to get another role soon.

    2: Tough it out you get paid probably x2 what the permies get so naturally they want to dump extra work on you. Most likely the perm has been told to do this by management as you cannot expect to wait around with nothing to do can you!

    Admin duties are not exactly hard work. I have in my time been asked to: Clean untidy comms rooms up, destroy 1000s of hard drives, decom trading floors (inc all cabling!), patch 100s of IP phones (inc all the unboxing & physical deployment), shift 1000s of boxes from the loading bay to the comms room 500ft away, all outside the jobspec I was hired to do but I just did it as I knew it was that or nothing so depending on how unpleasant they are about it do what they want keep billing look around or see your contract out.

    Keep reminding yourself you are getting probably as much money as the directors they are going to want something reasonable back in return! You can walk anytime you want but think about it do you really think they will have trouble getting someone else in they can just hire a cheap temp to do the admin work you have been asked for & hire someone to replace you tomorrow. Very few roles are hard to fill nowadays so many good people on the bench.

  6. #16

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,312
    Thanks (Given)
    627
    Thanks (Received)
    574
    Likes (Given)
    4225
    Likes (Received)
    2415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uk contractor View Post
    1: Serve notice & walk away now as long as you have enough money & are confident the marketplace is busy enough to get another role soon.

    2: Tough it out you get paid probably x2 what the permies get so naturally they want to dump extra work on you. Most likely the perm has been told to do this by management as you cannot expect to wait around with nothing to do can you!

    Admin duties are not exactly hard work. I have in my time been asked to: Clean untidy comms rooms up, destroy 1000s of hard drives, decom trading floors (inc all cabling!), patch 100s of IP phones (inc all the unboxing & physical deployment), shift 1000s of boxes from the loading bay to the comms room 500ft away, all outside the jobspec I was hired to do but I just did it as I knew it was that or nothing so depending on how unpleasant they are about it do what they want keep billing look around or see your contract out.

    Keep reminding yourself you are getting probably as much money as the directors they are going to want something reasonable back in return! You can walk anytime you want but think about it do you really think they will have trouble getting someone else in they can just hire a cheap temp to do the admin work you have been asked for & hire someone to replace you tomorrow. Very few roles are hard to fill nowadays so many good people on the bench.

    Why didn't you add doormat or toilet cleaning duties to that list

  7. #17

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    17,545
    Thanks (Given)
    409
    Thanks (Received)
    840
    Likes (Given)
    3700
    Likes (Received)
    2426

    Default

    Off-topic posts removed.

    This isn't General...

  8. #18

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    9,312
    Thanks (Given)
    627
    Thanks (Received)
    574
    Likes (Given)
    4225
    Likes (Received)
    2415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    Off-topic posts removed.

    This isn't General...
    Thanks, agreed. However, there were serious points there, IMO.

    I would like to re-add the shakey ground, I believe uk contractor would be on, which is the important bit.

    By agreeing to help with these tasks outside his remit, he lands himself firmly in IR35 territory.
    I believe he would fail on D&C and MOO and therefore be caught by IR35.

  9. #19

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,990
    Thanks (Given)
    138
    Thanks (Received)
    63
    Likes (Given)
    737
    Likes (Received)
    354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Why didn't you add doormat or toilet cleaning duties to that list
    Because often those sorts of tasks are great for the piece and quiet as NO-ONE in their right mind will come near you in case they get roped in to them.

    I dont do that stuff anymore but actually wandering around pulling a few cables compared to what I am up to today would be great

  10. #20
    eek
    eek is online now

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    21,282
    Thanks (Given)
    209
    Thanks (Received)
    1003
    Likes (Given)
    926
    Likes (Received)
    3083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Thanks, agreed. However, there were serious points there, IMO.

    I would like to re-add the shakey ground, I believe uk contractor would be on, which is the important bit.

    By agreeing to help with these tasks outside his remit, he lands himself firmly in IR35 territory.
    I believe he would fail on D&C and MOO and therefore be caught by IR35.
    Nope. at the moment there are 3 bits to IR35 and you only need to have one of them to be outside IR35.

    SDC is a given in what has been discussed. Mutual Obligation (MOO) is maybe but he still has substitution to keep him outside...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.