• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you handle disgruntled permanent staff and management

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    Because you would need to sue them for Libel (written) or Slander (spoken) - You need very very deep pockets for that one. The very substantial risk that you may win the judgement, but not the costs could most likely bankrupt you.

You can't take them to an Employment Tribunal as you are not an Employee (surprised I need to tell you this).

So a simple subjective reference that said, the client didn't feel you were a people person and the quality of your work didn't meet their internal standards could be very damming, but not libellous.
    I think it's safe to say that it would be best if this whole situation would be best avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
      I think it's safe to say that it would be best if this whole situation would be best avoided.
      I'd just get the agent to confirm that you attended; no point having to pander to the whim of a madman.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Out of interest I've just queried this with a contact at my PS clients HR and there policy is clear. Job held, start and end dates and nothing more. No personal opinion/character type comments are allowed.
        Been the same for pretty much everywhere I've worked at. Managers haven't given "references" even for people they hated or were tulip or did nothing

Comment

Personally I'd go for option 3 once your most recent invoice has been paid (point of least financial risk). The benefit of having a decent warchest in this situation is you can dictate what you will or won't tolerate. In that scenario I don't think I'd even be willing to honour a notice period - you could argue that being sworn at amounts to verbal abuse and therefore you're terminating the agreement.

The benefit of doing this sooner rather than later (i.e. the keep on invoicing approach) is that I wouldn't even put the role on my CV so you don't have to worry about references at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post

The benefit of doing this sooner rather than later (i.e. the keep on invoicing approach) is that I wouldn't even put the role on my CV so you don't have to worry about references at all.
            But you will have to worry if your new client has any in depth background checks
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
              Personally I'd go for option 3 once your most recent invoice has been paid (point of least financial risk). The benefit of having a decent warchest in this situation is you can dictate what you will or won't tolerate. In that scenario I don't think I'd even be willing to honour a notice period - you could argue that being sworn at amounts to verbal abuse and therefore you're terminating the agreement.

He needs to protest now that it is verbal abuse not wait 2 weeks e.g. put it in writing.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                But you will have to worry if your new client has any in depth background checks
                But how will they find out? He's only been there two weeks, surely it's just bench time?

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
                  But how will they find out? He's only been there two weeks, surely it's just bench time?
                  TBH I don't know and you are probably right. It's still a false declaration if he has to state that and he goes down the 'bench time' route. Not a good start to an SC contract really is it.

Just think what Willapp says is a lot of faff when you don't need to worry about references. All they will get is the start and end date. Nothing else.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Now the dust has settled, I would take the manager to one side and reiterate that the guy trashed your work under the guise of a code review and that while he may have felt his way was better, there was a working solution in the bag at 2pm. Drag the guy in to the meeting as well so it doesn't look shady if you can deal with stand up arguments. Having worked with a few really BAD senior developers I can attest that the ones that think they are gods are the worst on the planet for a well run team.

That said I have also met a few junior devs that I wouldn't trust to write me a two line basic script.

Offer to walk on the spot but point out that losing two devs in a month points to other problems in the playpen other than all contractors are tulip and that the next guy may not handle the passive aggressive behaviour. you can also play the obviously I am not used to the way we do things so lets firmly book the code review for the middle of the sprint with a moderator in the middle to mediate things until we understand each other better.

Walking now has no shame and SC wouldn't be able to pick up on the situation as technically you never worked there you have been working for your own company.

Comment

BTW sending over a code review at 2pm on the last day of the sprint is asking for trouble, it should be done way before then.

Comment

Working...
                      X