• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you handle disgruntled permanent staff and management

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You shouldn't be using ex client managera as references so that shouldn't be a problem and even if you do they should give nothing but your start and end dates.
    What, really?

Comment

How bigs the firm? Are you through an agent or direct? This type of behaviour usually surfaces with smaller clients I've been direct with who don't pay invoices. If they're bigger or you have an agent, and as long as they sign timesheets promptly, then it comes down to whether or not you can be bothered to suffer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Illustrious View Post
        How did you handle it?
        1. Clean exit. No questions asked ("client requirements changed").

2 = Waste of time. You don't work there, he's not your manager.
        3 = Agency ask WTF ?

>jealous since he saw my car one afternoon
        >throw away jokes/comments about being paid too much
        Common, very common. Perms hate even the slightest 'flaunting'.
        I heard of a case of a guy turning up in Porsche somewhere - after management spotted the motor in the car park he was gone in 2 weeks.

At short notice I rented a brand new but small car for a week cos mine went into the garage for work. Turned up in the client site and parked the rental outside - questions were immediately asked by senior management (I'd not met before) on work progress cos they spotted the brand new plate.

'Perm friendly contractor, grudgingly accepted':
        "I drive a banger, I take holidays in a caravan park in Bognor off season, I buy all clothes from a charity shop, all my money taken by the taxman"

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
          What, really?
          Yes really. First off you don't fall for the references trick. If it isn't genuine request you use the agents as that is who you were contracted with. If you are direct you use whoever dealt with your contract in resourcing.

All they will do is confirm your start and end date. Anything else could get them in legal trouble if you don't agree.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
            How bigs the firm? Are you through an agent or direct? This type of behaviour usually surfaces with smaller clients I've been direct with who don't pay invoices. If they're bigger or you have an agent, and as long as they sign timesheets promptly, then it comes down to whether or not you can be bothered to suffer it.
            It's a small publishing company. They have 4 full time developers. They used to have six but two recently left to work further up the road for an energy firm. I get timesheets signed by the manager. That's something else actually, they're meant to be signed and submitted by 5pm but mine didn't get approved until late evening. I just managed to raise an invoice with the agency in time. I don't know if that was done deliberately to give me a bit of a scare.

It's a bit naff that having a nice car, or rather having a nicer car than someone else, should cause this much bother.

I have a good relationship with the agent who put me in this role. I was contemplating emailing her in the morning to just make her aware of what happened

Comment

It's a small publishing company. They have 4 full time developers. They used to have six but two recently left to work further up the road for an energy firm. I get timesheets signed by the manager. That's something else actually, they're meant to be signed and submitted by 5pm but mine didn't get approved until late evening. I just managed to raise an invoice with the agency in time. I don't know if that was done deliberately to give me a bit of a scare.

It's a bit naff that having a nice car, or rather having a nicer car than someone else, should cause this much bother.

I have a good relationship with the agent who put me in this role. I was contemplating emailing her in the morning to just make her aware of what happened
              Certainly, inform the agency and give them a heads up, seeing as you have a good relationship with them.

Then go down the road and drop off your CV at that energy firm.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
                What, really?
                WNLUKS.

This is one of the reasons why linky and another linky

Regardless of the outcome of the cases the companies ended up with reputation damage plus spending loads of money on lawyers which they don't necessarily get back.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Keep on top of that. Based on some bad experiences I'd be looking for an exit. YMMV based on how marketable your skills are currently.

Comment

[QUOTE=SunnyInHades;2316192]...

>jealous since he saw my car one afternoon
                    >throw away jokes/comments about being paid too much
                    Common, very common.

I had one permie job where my own car was the same make and model as the FDs. But mine was newer and higher spec. I lasted 7 months...

Perms hate even the slightest 'flaunting'.
                    One contractor I knew walked around with a shirt pocket full of £20 notes. But he flaunted with good humour and always bought the first round of drinks at the pubs - and made sure the permies never bought their own.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The manager told me he was a benign dictator
                      I've only ever heard that from one CEO and I would guess one of his proteges is now using it (badly, as if done correctly it can work very effectively for the client co). Anywhere near the North West?

Use this as an opportunity to learn. An old technique called 'cardboard cutouts' might help here. When you pick up a new story walk over the to Senior Dev and ask when you can discuss it with him. Get his opinion on how the general strategy for the piece should go. Then write it up in an Email. The turn out the code. This is all reasonable behaviour as I'm sure neither side wants a repeat of last week .

Comment

Working...
                      X