• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you handle disgruntled permanent staff and management

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd go for option 1. If they want to trash your code and try to engage you in a dick measuring thats up to them. They feel threatened by an outsider and the senior dev is probably suffering from a serious bout of jealousy. Justifying his own perm existence is all he has left when really he probably just wants to be in your shoes.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. Much to think over tonight before I take the long drive down in the morning.

To be honest it should have been obvious the kind of environment I was waking into. Before I'd seen any of their code base I was taken into a meeting room with the manager and the senior dev and told that they weren't interested in any of my opinions on their structuring or any suggestions that I might have that might improve it or their workflow. The manager told me he was a benign dictator and he didn't give a fig what I thought or had to share! That's fair enough I suppose, he's signing my timesheets after all, but it's rare I've gone anywhere where the sharing of ideas/experience was seen as anything but a welcome perspective that might not be implemented right now but was always something for the future.

For the record, their code structure isn't too bad but their organisation is a mess. In my opinion they are at least two developers short given the amount of work they have on their plate.

The irony however is that I am forbidden to work on most projects. I'm there to work only in one area apparently. For a manager to be about "productivity" in the workplace you'd think he'd unshackle his contractor to get the most out of them but he's adamant that I cannot help in other areas or at least mentor the junior devs who are constantly asking the manager and senior dev for advice/help. They regularly have meetings which I am asked to attend and they always start by telling me that none of what they're about to discuss really concerns me! So I end up sat in a team meeting for an hour twiddling my thumbs!

I'm going to see out this week and see how things improve. I intend to ask the manager for a meeting on monday morning after the stand-up and I will tell him that I'm not happy about how he conducted himself on Friday. I'm not there to be sworn at, end of story. If he doesn't like that he can terminate the deal and I can come home. Having never had a contract terminated before though I'm not sure how the notice will work

Comment

I wouldn't bother confronting them unless you want to end it. They obviously don't give a tulip anyway about your viewpoint.

Depending on how bad it is and your personal abilities of stress management I'd consider the 'carry on and keep invoicing' mantra unless you are confident other work will be easy to obtain so can just walk away. Just smile at any incidents and when they wonder how you cope so well say "it's all good", while thinking of the money. See it as entertainment and just deliver what they ask and don't get drawn into any other distractions, let it wash over you. Easier said than done but it's a skill many contractors need at some point when faced with A holes embedded at the client.

If you dare to see it out, don't forget to keep us informed of the more interesting incidents. Always nice to hear about real life Dilbert sketches so we know what the worst that can happen is, for preparation if we're ever at the same or similar client.

Oh, and lesson one, don't turn up at a client in a much nicer car than the plebs working there, or one that appears to be worth more than it really is. Think Roadhouse where Swayze turns up in a beaten up old wreck and keeps the nice car at home in the barn.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Might be a good point to mention my recent situation. I was hired recently into my current contract by the IT manager, who I got on well with, but answered directly to another department manager, who I clearly didn't quite see eye to eye with. After a couple of months, the IT manager left, leaving the department manager responsible for my renewals. After the three months was up, he decided I would only be signed up for another month 'to review my performance'. This was a real shock to me. I have never had to worry about how well I have got on with clients before, or whether (excluding ends of projects) whether I would be renewed - it's always just been a given. That month is still going, and I think we're starting to get on. This guy just works in a way I'm not used to, and as a contractor, it's my job to adapt to that. I don't agree with it, but he's paying so I do as he asks. It's a strange atmosphere, and although the work is simple bread and butter stuff, getting anything done is unbelievably stressful.

So maybe just hang on in there - you may start getting one. The tricky bit is explaining how the failures aren't your fault without sounding like you're bitching about the current workplace. It's even harder to defend against accusations without sounding like your challenging the client.

You may be relying on this guy for a reference, or explaining why a contract was cut short.

I say sat him down and asked how you think the relationship could be improved, without referring to himself or the staff member negatively. Demonstrate that you're being reasonable and it becomes difficult for him to be unreasonable. Explaining why the push failed without criticising the other dev is going to be hard but you need to try to find a way. Maybe sit the dev down too. And stop turning up to work in flash cars.

Comment

You shouldn't be using ex client managera as references so that shouldn't be a problem and even if you do they should give nothing but your start and end dates.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              Oh, and lesson one, don't turn up at a client in a much nicer car than the plebs working there, or one that appears to be worth more than it really is. Think Roadhouse where Swayze turns up in a beaten up old wreck and keeps the nice car at home in the barn.
              This is why I drive a tulip car to gigs. It's all down to their self worth and if you look like you're doing better then why should they help you.

I've seen colleagues get upset because some got new monitors. I mean it was just a 1 inch upgrade but might as well have been a brand new Porsche

Comment

Option 1.

Option 2 won't work and option 3 may be satisfying but you lose revenue.

Just put in the changes as the dev suggested and get the tests to work and then ask the PM whether you can check them in. Don't get mad if the PM shouts just reiterate what you said on Friday.

This is good practice because you will probably face this again sometime in the future. Unfortunately there are a lot of bad PM's. You need to get used to it.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

OP option 3. No need for that tulip.

And you just won't win this one. Been there. Some contracts are just bad - contract hating permits or whatever. You can't win.

These sort of places go through contractors at a rate but you can get their attitude will be it's not their fault.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

That's not always possible unless your car is a real banger. Hence my point of stating the car is leased/hired, or having a personal number plate so you can lie about the age.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well with regards to the car I'm driving, I'm going to have to look at renting something for a couple of months. I'm putting 400 miles a week my own car and I don't want to be lowering the value of my own. But personally I don't think it's that much of a car to get worked up over. Yes it's a BMW but it's not that new and I'd previously found that turning up to work in banger cast equally as bad an impression to the people higher up the food chain so to speak. Anyway, if anyone knows a good place to hire/short term lease let me know

As for the role and predicament I find myself in, I think I'm more surprised by the complete lack of professionalism from the manager. He might have had a crappy day but that's no excuse for his behavior. My wife and friends can swear at me and that's it. Nor do I expect to have my money discussed in front of anyone else I work with. They already seem to be annoyed by the fact that i make more than they do so I don't need the management reinforcing that view.

I'm going to stick with it, keep invoicing and do what's asked of me but I don't hold out much hope for the place really. I'm on a losing track with this one. My only real gripe is that I could be out in my ear in the morning without so much as a thank you if the manager has decided over the weekend that he didn't want me in the morning. I'll have to drive 200 miles to find out and I've paid a month in advance for my midweek accommodation.

It's all very infuriating but I guess that's part of the game as a contractor.

If the worst comes to the worst I'll let you know who it is b just in case...

Comment

Working...
                      X