• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asked for commitment in very fluid situation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asked for commitment in very fluid situation

Hi,

It was told last week that my assignment would end of September, I immediately started looking out but have not got anything concrete. However now my client manager wants to continue for another 3 month on a condition that I commit to complete the project and not look elsewhere. But they would not be able to commit to me as this project can be canned any time due to factors beyond there control (Mostly office politics).

Given the market situation, I am not sure of taking out by end of September without any offer in hand but, If I accept I would certainly be finishing by end of November which would not be the best period for new contract or worth can be dumped with short notice in coming weeks.

It's just my second contract and not been through much negotiation. Any advice on what direction to take would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

zenore

If you are happy with your present client and they have been good to you, then commit to them, you never know you may end up working with them again, or you may need a good word from them for the new role.
    If you are very unhappy and hate the environment then if I were you I'd tell them firmly you are happy to stay but need to look for a new role, tell them you'd do make every effort if the new contract comes along you'd delay the start and do thorough handover.

Comment

So they just give you a contract with an uneven notice period. You can't give notice, they can. Pretty common and run of the mill to be honest.

Also the situation described should be what you do anywhere. It's gonna start an argument but taking a contract with no intention to go out into completion and dump it to find work elsewhere is highly unprofessional. You are a supplier to a client. You can't just go round welching on gigs just because you've found one a little better.

I think the best has played this very badly to be honest. The comment about canning you if budget runs out. That's the case for all of us but by highlighting it specifically they've made an issue where there wasn't one. You should know the project so your call.
      You options are take it and fulfil it or don't.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 10 September 2016, 08:17.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
        If you are happy with your present client and they have been good to you, then commit to them, you never know you may end up working with them again, or you may need a good word from them for the new role.
        If you are very unhappy and hate the environment then if I were you I'd tell them firmly you are happy to stay but need to look for a new role, tell them you'd do make every effort if the new contract comes along you'd delay the start and do thorough handover.
        This +1
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Thanks all the reply,

I think budget is not an issue, problem is more of conflict between different set of people. Client Manager think this as good use of money and but other wish to close it down. The talk of commitment came to this reason so client manager want to only go fight for the project If I agree as without me they would not be able to complete.

Other person on this project is a permie who is getting jittery and could withdraw which would also mean closure of project. He has a good notice period and he may be looking out but I don't have.

Given the unfair situation, Just want to negotiate better and reduce my loss (in reputation or money).

Appreciate any more suggestion

Best Regards

Zenore

Comment

Hi zerore,

The commitments exists when both parts agreed in a commitment.

They can’t ask for your commitment if they can't ensure theirs, and you can’t be consider unprofessional for that.
            I would ask for a compensation if the project ends before the end of the 3rd month.

Create a document with the agreed amount, for example 3 (months) x (daily rate) minimum and signed by the both parts ASAP.

If they don't accept your agreement start looking.

Originally posted by zenore View Post
            Hi,

It was told last week that my assignment would end of September, I immediately started looking out but have not got anything concrete. However now my client manager wants to continue for another 3 month on a condition that I commit to complete the project and not look elsewhere. But they would not be able to commit to me as this project can be canned any time due to factors beyond there control (Mostly office politics).

Given the market situation, I am not sure of taking out by end of September without any offer in hand but, If I accept I would certainly be finishing by end of November which would not be the best period for new contract or worth can be dumped with short notice in coming weeks.

It's just my second contract and not been through much negotiation. Any advice on what direction to take would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

zenore
            Last edited by Bee; 10 September 2016, 21:39.

Comment

look after number 1.....
              take the contract in hand and keep looking anyways.....if a second contract does materialise, then re-evaluate.

this way you give yourself an out....some might say that's unethical or going back on your word, depends on how you feel about it....

if the client has been sound and nice place to work, then personally I would keep my word and just look if and when the contract is canned...

if the client is dodgy, people are crap, windowless rooms with barbwire around the establishment, no air con, crap amenities, then do right by yourself....

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
                look after number 1.....
                take the contract in hand and keep looking anyways.....if a second contract does materialise, then re-evaluate.

this way you give yourself an out....some might say that's unethical or going back on your word, depends on how you feel about it....

if the client has been sound and nice place to work, then personally I would keep my word and just look if and when the contract is canned...

if the client is dodgy, people are crap, windowless rooms with barbwire around the establishment, no air con, crap amenities, then do right by yourself....
                This..
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                  Hi
                  I would ask for a compensation if the project ends before the end of the 3rd month.

Create a document with the agreed amount, for example 3 (months) x (daily rate) minimum and signed by the both parts ASAP.

So, your basic advice to him is to just start looking then.

Firstly, such advice is very bad from an IR35 perspective and secondly the Client will think you're a total clown and have a great laugh at your expense.

Brilliant
                  Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 11 September 2016, 09:48.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                    Hi zerore,

The commitments exists when both parts agreed in a commitment.

They can’t ask for your commitment if they can't ensure theirs, and you can’t be consider unprofessional for that.

Please could you put the quote BEFORE you comments so we have context for your answer, however bad it is.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X