• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A genuine mistake?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you want to work for an agency or anyone who makes those kind of mistakes? At best sounds like maybe a naiive agent quoted you the loaded rate which included their margin. I'd ask for details.

Comment

I had this years back in my contracting infancy, agreed a rate for a local gig of 350pd, interview all well and good and accepted the offer, contract arrives with a daily rate of 378pd, didn't think it was worth bothering the agent to query it

Comment

I have seen agents trying to pull a fast one at the last moment trying to increase their margins, but never with 15%. It's more likely to be a mistake where a newbie agent put the rate the client is paying them in the ad (I have experienced this first hand and could later verify that was a genuine mistake after checking with the Client how much they are paying for my services). Either way it's you "friend" will never know as no matter how much questions you as the agent, you can never be sure whether he is telling the truth or not.

What should your "friend" do in this case? It all sound advice that a lot of people are suggesting to stick to your guns and drop the contract if the agency don't back down to the original rate discussed. The problem is can you afford it? If the rate was higher than average to begin with and you are happy with the reduced rate, do you really want to trow your toys out of the pram because the agent lied to you...

Ultimately it's a decision everyone need to make for themselves, considering all the circumstances, there is no single definitive answer/solution to situations like this.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
          I had this years back in my contracting infancy, agreed a rate for a local gig of 350pd, interview all well and good and accepted the offer, contract arrives with a daily rate of 378pd, didn't think it was worth bothering the agent to query it
          Yes, I remember agreeing 500 pd with an agent for a gig I had found but I couldn't go direct. Agent said they would put on 7.5% but added 20%, agreeing 600 pd with client. The client then decided they had to go with their preferred intermediary who has a 5% markup based on a total rate of 600 pd, leaving me with 571.43 pd. They then accidentally put my base as Birmingham rather than Leeds so I got to claim 250 miles round trip daily at something like 56p per mile.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            I have seen agents trying to pull a fast one at the last moment trying to increase their margins, but never with 15%. It's more likely to be a mistake where a newbie agent put the rate the client is paying them in the ad (I have experienced this first hand and could later verify that was a genuine mistake after checking with the Client how much they are paying for my services). Either way it's you "friend" will never know as no matter how much questions you as the agent, you can never be sure whether he is telling the truth or not.

What should your "friend" do in this case? It all sound advice that a lot of people are suggesting to stick to your guns and drop the contract if the agency don't back down to the original rate discussed. The problem is can you afford it? If the rate was higher than average to begin with and you are happy with the reduced rate, do you really want to trow your toys out of the pram because the agent lied to you...

Ultimately it's a decision everyone need to make for themselves, considering all the circumstances, there is no single definitive answer/solution to situations like this.
            This +1, exactly what I alluded to earlier as a possibility. I have seen it before and verified also.
            The rate being "above average" is another pointer.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

A few months ago I was put forward for a role for a certain amount. Went to interview, got the gig and when reconfirming the rate with them they mentioned a sum £50 per day lower. Told them that's not what you said and can't accept the gig at this rate, they denied they ever mentioned a higher rate, I sent them an email with the jobspec as advertised on jobsite that mentioned the higher rate as well as the call recording of the original call, never heard from them anymore.
              I told the end client that the agency were a bunch of lying cheating bastards and they dumped the agency.

Comment

I have had this before when it was a genuine, quoted £x65 when it turned out to be £x56, so sometimes mistakes do happen, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

I guess it depends on your situation, fat warchest and you can tell them to do one, living invoice to invoice and the options are a lot less appealing.
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  I have had this before when it was a genuine, quoted £x65 when it turned out to be £x56, so sometimes mistakes do happen, but this is the exception rather than the rule.
                  PC had a similar mix-up at the Dole Office.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    PC had a similar mix-up at the Dole Office.
                    Now now this is the professional forums and we are not allowed to take the piss out of dole boy and his benefit culture
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

This one would go directly to my black list.
                      I think it's a trick and instead of saying "good bye" I would push for the first offer and see.

Comment

Working...
                      X