• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Meeting Agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just look a meeting with the agent as a free meal, got scampi and chips out of the last one....

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
      The only time I've ever met an agent is when he took me to Lunch after he placed me in a role, never turn down a free lunch .
      He was probably taking a massive margin, so needed to celebrate. You should have negotiated a higher rate, but I'm sure the free lunch made up for that.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
        He was probably taking a massive margin, so needed to celebrate. You should have negotiated a higher rate, but I'm sure the free lunch made up for that.
        It was my first ever contract and I got the rate I wanted, plus a free lunch, what's not to like!

Comment

People seriously meet their agent mid contract? For a pint or lunch? Jesus me. Why? Just for a free £10 lunch? I can't think of anything worse tbh.

When I contracted at BP, the agent responsible for one set of contractors would come in once a month just for a coffee and a chat with the contractors. She'd send an email about it and each time she came in, she'd have loads of meetings lined up with contractors. Why? What the hell were they talking about??

Bunch of bedwetters if you ask me. Just crack on with the project, carry on invoicing, and no need to meet with the agent once a month. Deary me.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
            People seriously meet their agent mid contract? For a pint or lunch? Jesus me. Why? Just for a free £10 lunch? I can't think of anything worse tbh.

When I contracted at BP, the agent responsible for one set of contractors would come in once a month just for a coffee and a chat with the contractors. She'd send an email about it and each time she came in, she'd have loads of meetings lined up with contractors. Why? What the hell were they talking about??

Bunch of bedwetters if you ask me. Just crack on with the project, carry on invoicing, and no need to meet with the agent once a month. Deary me.
            I was young and naive and needed the money... the last 5 years I've been direct in various gigs so have had to buy my own lunch

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
              I was young and naive and needed the money... the last 5 years I've been direct in various gigs so have had to buy my own lunch
              Hahaha, one of my direct clients asked me to take them out to dinner. £450. He ordered a gin which cost more than any bottle of wine I'd ever bought. Funny thing is, he was head of compliance and we were building an anti-bribery elearning course for him...

Comment

I have met up with a few Agents for a beer. To be honest I found them all to be very personable and it was good to see the face behind the voice. On the odd occasion I dealt with an agent with whom I could not build any sort of repore, I just turned down the request and said unfortunately it was not convenient.
                I would not go out of my way, or incur any cost, but no problem meeting up. Not even a problem for me to offer them a beer too - I can just about afford it.

Comment

I've met a few now, it does help "put a face to the name/voice" at the end of the phone. The "lets go over your CV" type ones are a waste of time IMHO.

But saying that these recruiters are your "sales team" so make your own mind up.

GE

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                    I've never met an agent for lunch, but I wouldn't rule it out. While not necessary, it's a way of networking and building a professional relationship and can be an effective way of doing that.

Like it or not, the agent does have an influence on the client and ultimately if you get the gig or not. It can't hurt to get to know them a bit more.

Comment

I've met a few for lunch. They range from "just a pint to see how you're enjoying the client" (and that's all it was) to "just a pint, and would you mind asking the PM if there are any other roles going there that we can fill?"

I like the aspect of putting a face to the name and voice, but most meet ups have ultimately proved to be pointless in the wider scheme of things. I get more value out of meeting up with former clients for a pint instead.

Comment

Working...
                      X