• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Meeting Agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meeting Agents

It seems more common that agents are keen to meet prospective candidates in advance of scheduled interviews, or even now at point of initial contact.

For the former I can see why this would be of benefit, but has anyone gained from the experience of the latter approach from a contractor perspective ?

I'm not seeing this TBH and the one time I met an agent it came to nothing so I'd only do it if I had absolutely nothing else to do.

I don't think there will be a yes or no answer. It will depend on the circumstances everytime I'd think.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The only time I've ever met an agent is when he took me to Lunch after he placed me in a role, never turn down a free lunch .

Comment

Yes, I agree I am not sure it is worth doing with the latter approach if there are no specific roles in the offing, other than building up a relationship with the agent (and checking her out of course )

But that's why I am interested in see if anyone has any experiences of this.

Comment

Don't know about this becoming a trend, haven't noticed it. My experience meeting with agents is mixed, but in general it's a waste of time. Fine if you are on the bench and don't have to travel far to meet them, but not worth wasting your time while in contract.

Comment

Happened to me 3 times ever.

First was for a perm role, it was an evening meeting where he went over my CV and enhanced it to reflect the role. He had a very good relationship with the company and knew how they liked their CVs (very long and very detailed). Applied and got offered an interview but got a different job instead so turned it down. He was furious and phoned me up accusing me of being unprofessional and demanded that I sent the company an apology email. Being young and naive I did. I mentioned it to one of the contractors I worked with who proceeded to laugh until he was bright red.

Second time was for a contract. Just before the interview, pointless chat over a coffee. I blew the interview so it did not matter.

Third time was for a perm role. Just before the interview. He gave me the low down on the interviewers and the sort of things to say. Helped a little I guess. Got to the second interview and no further but didn't really want the job anyway.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
              The only time I've ever met an agent is when he took me to Lunch after he placed me in a role, never turn down a free lunch .
              Same happened to me once. He talked a lot about his new Ferrari. Bastard.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                Happened to me 3 times ever.

First was for a perm role, it was an evening meeting where he went over my CV and enhanced it to reflect the role. He had a very good relationship with the company and knew how they liked their CVs (very long and very detailed). Applied and got offered an interview but got a different job instead so turned it down. He was furious and phoned me up accusing me of being unprofessional and demanded that I sent the company an apology email. Being young and naive I did. I mentioned it to one of the contractors I worked with who proceeded to laugh until he was bright red.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

They do ask sometimes, but it's not common at all. I've met with one once, when I was just starting out in contracting. It's a complete waste of time and money.

Comment

I'm happy to meet up if I'm on the bench and it's convenient.

Or if they've sorted an interview and are offering a coffee/lunch debriefing.

Other than that, general Christmas/extension pints are about it.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X