• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reskilling yourself in such a fast moving industry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    That's a bold statement, and if true you could make money selling the answers to those questions for the blaggers that want the easy interview.

I wonder who the visionaries are these days that can offer food for thought on what is coming next and where their blogs/books are?

Cloud, big data, AI, automation, robotics, IoT, augmented reality, cyber wars, ... it always sounds so much more interesting than what has gone before yet much of it will require the same old skillsets revamped to cater for these 'new' ideas.
    Indeed, but that's my point; You either get guys who know all the buzzwords but actually don't know how the software works or you get the guys who know how it works but seemingly don't trust automation and want to build everything themselves manually.

The middle ground does exist but they're thin on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      Anyone seen any good forecasts for skill requirements covering the next 5-10 years and beyond?

What are the current/upcoming/next big things that are likely to struggle to find people with the right skills and therefore will need contractors with those skills?

No point reskilling into an already or likely saturated market, or one that has the hamster running ever faster on the wheel (e.g. web dev with endless frameworks all doing the same thing, taking data and putting it into a browser ).

Maybe we should invent our own technical solutions and frameworks and covertly introduce them into client implementations, then we can corner the market for ourselves and be in control of how they evolve.
      I really wish I could answer this, but anyone who says they can is lying. Anything that is hyped can easily fall into the trough of disillusionment within months.

The only thing I can say with any certainty that is here to stay is HTML/JavaScript/CSS. The reason I say this is because they are frankly not very good technologies and there has been opportunities to replace them on numerous occasions, but for some reason they persist. The overlying frameworks however (Angular/React/SASS) seem to come and go.

Another thing worth becoming good at is things like DDD and Microservice architectures. So many people say they are doing these but they are either doing it badly or not doing it and just saying they are. Actually being someone who can do this well is a rare skill.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
        This post could not be better. Outstanding
        Why thank you

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

Today, I am learning Haskell for the fun of it. I am betting on more functional programming coming through or being influential in years to come. The learned FP people say learn Haskell.
          My M.Sc. dissertation was using Haskell to get a stickman animation run across a VT200 terminal.

I never got him running across the terminal but I did at least get the sumbitch move!

Marks were awarded for effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
            My M.Sc. dissertation was using Haskell to get a stickman animation run across a VT200 terminal.

I never got him running across the terminal but I did at least get the sumbitch move!

Marks were awarded for effort.
            Functional programming is definitely one of the paradigms we're all going to need in the coming years. So it's worth learning Haskell even if you never use it - it will mean you can pick up Scala or Clojure and run with it when you need to. It will even improve your JavaScript.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
              Functional programming is definitely one of the paradigms we're all going to need in the coming years. So it's worth learning Haskell even if you never use it - it will mean you can pick up Scala or Clojure and run with it when you need to. It will even improve your JavaScript.
              F#?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                F#?
                Yeah that too.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
                  For the ones who can answer these questions, we move towards the problem statement:

You have N* non-heterogeneous applications; what problems do you face and how do you deal with them?
                  So you mean homogeneous?

Comment

What is the cyber security arena like?

Comment

Originally posted by DanielSQL View Post
                      What is the cyber security arena like?
                      If I tell you I'll have to kill you. HTH
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X