• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract ads that deal with 2-3+ agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract ads that deal with 2-3+ agencies

I've been approached for a contract, however, after a little research I found out this job is being promoted by another 3 agencies. This really puts me off, but is it normal in today's market?

The reason being I find myself wasting a lot time getting to the final hurdle, interview, even tests, to be told the role has been filled and then you never hear from the agent again or they ignore you . Hey, that's contracting I know, but it seems to be happening much more frequently, carpet bombing. How are you finding the market recently?

Originally posted by johndc31 View Post
    I've been approached for a contract, however, after a little research I found out this job is being promoted by another 3 agencies. This really puts me off, but is it normal in today's market?

The reason being I find myself wasting a lot time getting to the final hurdle, interview, even tests, to be told the role has been filled and then you never hear from the agent again or they ignore you . Hey, that's contracting I know, but it seems to be happening much more frequently, carpet bombing. How are you finding the market recently?
    This doesn't matter - make sure the agent guarantees that your CV has been submitted, whichever one you go with.

Market is pretty boyant for my skillset at the moment given it is Aug and should ramp up even more during September hopefully.

Comment

I see it quite a lot on the job boards. Usually a waste of time as it's end clients who don't know the contracting market, or appreciate that agents can actually do a job. If there's an agency you've used before try via them if interested as they'll know you as reliable which makes you top of their pile (unless you screwed them over that is).
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        I see it quite a lot on the job boards. Usually a waste of time as it's end clients who don't know the contracting market, or appreciate that agents can actually do a job. If there's an agency you've used before try via them if interested as they'll know you as reliable which makes you top of their pile (unless you screwed them over that is).
        I had a nightmare earlier this year where the agent grabbed the gig for me but didn't even have a contract in place, it was literally a piece of paper. I was fuming, I dropped the gig as 3 weeks in they didn't want to know and I was trying to get at least an IR35 friendly contract signed and it wasn't happening.

It seems the industry is swamped with one man bands and tin pot setups. You live and learn.

Comment

I had a nightmare earlier this year where the agent grabbed the gig for me but didn't even have a contract in place, it was literally a piece of paper. I was fuming, I dropped the gig as 3 weeks in they didn't want to know and I was trying to get at least an IR35 friendly contract signed and it wasn't happening.

It seems the industry is swamped with one man bands and tin pot setups. You live and learn.
          Why did you start if you didn't have a contract?

Comment

It totally normal to see this. Not every gig is like this but yes it's common, particularly in Public Sector. Why does it put you off? If you are good enough it won't matter. It's been around for a long time so it's not new.

Again nothing new hear and not really a problem if you are good enough. Market is quiet so there is going to be a lot more competition. If you can't hack it go permie.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You seem to be struggling with the whole getting a gig thing. Why start with no contract? Contracting is about getting the gigs, it's our job. They bit at the client is the easy bit. Maybe a re-think of your approach to finding gigs? You know about Opt in/out, contract checks, not starting without contracts, negotiating? Get better at that and I'm sure it will go a little smoother.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Live and learn quickly ! This is a big no no...

Comment

Go perm or accept the contract market is how it is.

Larger companies often operate a PSL with multiple agencies because they know some are better than others at sourcing certain types of people. They're no doubt obliged to provide the same advert to each agency though.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    It totally normal to see this. Not every gig is like this but yes it's common, particularly in Public Sector. Why does it put you off? If you are good enough it won't matter. It's been around for a long time so it's not new.
                    I think the main reason which it may put people off is you can never be sure you have been submitted. I know this is true if a job is advertised through a single agency too. But it's a bit crap when you submit your CV to 3 agencies for the same job. Speak to agency 1, they say yes we'll sumit you, then you speak to agency 2 & 3, and tell them you've already been submitted, when in fact agency 1 hasn't bothered to at all.

One thing I've done in the past is say to agency 2, 'I think I have already been submitted, can you check with the end client'. Then it's down to whether the agent thinks you are a strong candidate or not and can be bothered to try and find out.

I think some agencies use some sort of centralised submission tool, not sure how widespread this is though.

Comment

Working...
                    X