• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do you want to go permie?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Don't put "contract(or)" on your CV.
    Genius! So I just had lots of permie gigs of 12 months or less since 2007
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Genius! So I just had lots of permie gigs of 12 days or less since 2007
      FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Permies never do that?

Right now I'm contracted for the next 3 months with no ability to give notice. If I was a permie I'd likely be able to give a month's notice at any time.

When I've done it I've said that I was never quite sure it was for me; perhaps prefer feeling like I'm part of something longer term, and that with commuting and periods out of work I didn't earn all that much more. Which are all kind of true.
        Speaking for myself here (long time permie). I usually tend to move when work dies down. As I simply hate sitting around doing nothing. If my memory serves me correctly, I've had around 3 permie roles within the last 3 years. The permie life is no longer for me... I want to be free!

Comment

Because NLUK told me I was NCOTBAC

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            "AS a contractor you get paid to fix up your mistakes. As a permie you get sacked. I never make mistakes so prefer permie."
            We're looking for something suity can use. HTHBIDI
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I've done this twice in a 30 year contracting history. Both times I was approached by the client and asked directly. Both times I did it for the same reason, career progression. The first time worked well for 4 1/2 years and included a quick race up the ladder. I only left because I was offered a role in Brussels heading up a European version of my UK role. I'd not written any code for a year and was basically shuffling paper. Second time I was promised much and given little. If my wife had not been seriously ill I'd have left after 1 year, as it was I stuck it out until my wife was back on her feet.

In a nutshell if the permie gig pays well and has a career path built in there's a lot to commend it, and that's what you should point out in an interview.

Comment

In my experience, I'd go with one of the following:

- Long term change in personal circumstances (family commitments, new mortgage etc)
                - Don't enjoy the culture of contracting as you're more of a team player type and want to feel part of something long term

It's very tough to overcome with certain clients, if you can get to interview then just focus your questions on their culture and environment - don't talk too much about training as this stinks of someone trying to get certifications etc paid for before going back to contracting at a higher rate.

A good agent is worth their salt in these circumstances. We know our clients and which of them may have come from contracting themselves so are likely to believe your motivations. We can also push you through to an interview and once you're sat in front of someone it's much harder for them not to believe you.

Comment

Tell them you've completed this and that, but want to really get stuck into something long term.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    If you wanted to go permie, how do you answer this question? I've been applying for some permie gigs, and I seem to fall down at the first hurdle which is "they don't want ex contractors".
                    So if you wanted to come across to permie, how do you broach this with a picky HR bod?
                    I've had a bunch of interviews lately for permie roles. Some of the interviewers have been very anti-contractor. Not event sure why they've called me into the interviews to be honest, it was pretty clear they wouldn't take an ex-contractor on regardless of fit or skills.

My advice it to forget permie, concentrate on a juicy contract, it will pay at least double the permie pay anyway.
                    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I don't react very well when people tend to generalize a situation based on their own experience or assumptions.
                      Generalize for me it’s a complete ignorance.

Comment

Working...
                      X