• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do you want to go permie?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do you want to go permie?

If you wanted to go permie, how do you answer this question? I've been applying for some permie gigs, and I seem to fall down at the first hurdle which is "they don't want ex contractors".
    So if you wanted to come across to permie, how do you broach this with a picky HR bod?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Answer this question and we'll tell you:

"Why do you want to go permie?"
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Depends on who it is and how big a lie you want to tell.

The market's pants/new version of software out and I want to leech some free training from you, use it for 18 months to get in on my cv then leave you in the lurch won't cut it.

For some, it could be "I've tried contracting and while I enjoy project work, I'm not as keen on the overall upheaval and uncertainty of short term work"

For others, not you though, it could be "I feel I've gained sufficient experience and leadership skills to progress up the career ladder; I went contracting because I didn't feel confident that at the time that my experience would be broad enough to serve me well in a higher management role."

Or it could be "I've been contracting for 20 years and I'm simply tired of it. I've made my money and now want to settle down to deliver well at an organisation that is smart enough to benefit from my experience without having to pay consultancy rates to do so. I look forward to mentoring other staff and getting back into a more regular routine and embracing a more corporate-driven lifestyle".

Whatever ballhooks fits you and your desire the best.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        If you wanted to go permie, how do you answer this question? I've been applying for some permie gigs, and I seem to fall down at the first hurdle which is "they don't want ex contractors".
        So if you wanted to come across to permie, how do you broach this with a picky HR bod?
        Something that satisfies him/her you've done roamin' (even if you haven't)..

e.g.

Just got married
        Kids starting school
        Bought new property

Related 'Never Hire Job Hoppers' management diatribe to possibly consider ..
        https://bothsidesofthetable.com/neve...322#.gw0fan9uy

Comment

What is your usual response?

Comment

Originally posted by DanielSQL View Post
            What is your usual response?
            He blushes and tries not to lie, fails and burbles a bit about wasted talent.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

When I did it I explained that I needed stability. I needed a predictable routine that meant I knew I would be able to drop my kids off at school (and the wife at work) and when I would be back. I could not risk getting everyone into a routine and then having to change it every few months due to a new contract.

The only other offer I had on the table was £650 a day from Bloomberg. I pointed out that if I had any inclinations to stick with contracting I would take it as it was a good rate in a recognised company but I was here, at the interview for the permie job. It occurred to me later that I did not actually need the other contract to say that, I could just lie and claim I had one but I didn't need to as my reasons were genuine and I am still here over two years later.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

"they don't want ex contractors".
                Just tell them the truth. Being a failed contractor is different and they maybe more understanding.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You look for stability or it's a job that you find interesting for you.

If they don't like ex contractors is very suspicious! Who told you this?
                  Ask why.

Comment

"AS a contractor you get paid to fix up your mistakes. As a permie you get sacked. I never make mistakes so prefer permie."

Comment

Working...
                    X