• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How To Avoid the Soul Destroying Agency Based Contract Search

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Every step you put in the way is going to put an agent off. It might stop all the fishing calls (but I doubt it) but it's also going to put off the one gig that you want. They want to get people in quick and get their money rolling in. If you make them work for it then they are going to just move to the next person, and there are going to be plenty of them.

I have to say though, finding gigs is what your job as a contractor is. Doing the bit on the client's site is the easy bit. Even permies can do that. You run a business and find work. If you are not up to it I'd question whether contracting is for you. Other professions have their nightmares, think about salesmen, particularly the phone based people or cold callers. They have to trawl through 100's of people before getting a bite. They then make money out of that bite.

If dealing with agents and cold calls in between gigs with the potential to earn 100's of K a year is too much then move over and let someone that wants to do it in
    thx...see what youre saying .... but just because other industries have their nightmares doesn't mean that we should not attempt to improve our lot does it?

Yes, finding contracts is indeed my job, so if I can improve or streamline that process then I am doing my job better.

I agree with you about not making the agents work harder and then loosing them. I think maybe if I simply leave the answers on my mobile message service and then at the end of that message direct them to an easy to remember email set up specifically for this purpose. Then all they would need to do is listen to the message to determine if it is worth taking things further and they can either leave a message or email.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      You may as well just say "Read my CV" and have all that stuff in there.

{Some large made up on the spot number)% of getting past agents is to make yourself sound normal and confident in your abilities (as well as answering yes to all their questions about skillset).
      But its too much extra info to fit on the CV.

So leaving the answers as the missed call message should achieve the above rather than leaving a transcript on linked in....

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Which suggests that phase one is fishing for references.

OP is wrong; it's a game we've got to play each time we go to market for work, simple as that. "You get me the contract, I'll give you the references over a celebratory drink first week on site" has always worked for me. They never push it further.

As for the other parts, it's horses for courses and you've got to accept that each gig may want a different part of your skillset.
        I understand its a game we have to play but that doesn't mean we can't improve the way that game is played.

The whole point of what I am saying is that the more serious "horses for courses" conversation should only come after you have filtered out the time wasters using a the same or similar process.

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
          thx...see what youre saying .... but just because other industries have their nightmares doesn't mean that we should not attempt to improve our lot does it?
          But you are not in the right position to be changing the process. We are pretty reactive and rely on it rather than dictate it.
          Yes, finding contracts is indeed my job, so if I can improve or streamline that process then I am doing my job better.
          As above. There isn't much you can do when you are at the end of the chain
          I agree with you about not making the agents work harder and then loosing them. I think maybe if I simply leave the answers on my mobile message service and then at the end of that message direct them to an easy to remember email set up specifically for this purpose. Then all they would need to do is listen to the message to determine if it is worth taking things further and they can either leave a message or email.
          It will go to voicemail and they will hang up. Money is time and for the same reasons you don't want to go through all the speil they won't want to listen to yours.

You've argued the same point despite having the same feedback a few times over. If you are so convinced then just try it. It's your time.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 22 July 2016, 15:09.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Maybe it would help if we just all tell the OP its a good idea.

Then he can let us know how he gets on
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

It will go to voicemail and they will hang up. Money is time and for the same reasons you don't want to go through all the speil they won't want to listen to yours.
              If they actually have a role they won't just hang up.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

But you are not in the right position to be changing the process. We are pretty reactive and rely on it rather than dictate it.

As above. There isn't much you can do when you are at the end of the chain

You've argued the same point despite having the same feedback a few times over. If you are so convinced then just try it. It's your time.
                But the speil is going to have to be listened to whether its via a filter message first or as a first time conversation...doesn't make too much of a difference.

I just don't agree with the feedback...I think we have more power over this most would assume...I don't think contractors should have to just put up with all the time wasting....so, I will try it out from next week when I start my search.

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
                  But the speil is going to have to be listened to whether its via a filter message first or as a first time conversation...doesn't make too much of a difference.

I just don't agree with the feedback...I think we have more power over this most would assume...I don't think contractors should have to just put up with all the time wasting....so, I will try it out from next week when I start my search.
                  The world loves a trail blazing maverick, let us know how you get on
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    If they actually have a role they won't just hang up.
                    You really think an agent cold calling is going to sit and listen to an answering machine message and the act on that?? I really don't think so.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You really think an agent cold calling is going to sit and listen to an answering machine message and the act on that?? I really don't think so.
                      Especially in this climate
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X