• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Australlia VISA - IT Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Australlia VISA - IT Contract

Hi,

I'm looking to go work out in Australia for a year or two as a contractor and have a few questions:

- I have a Working Holiday Visa however is this the right visa for contracting?
    - What is best: Trading under my UK ltd company or setting up a new company in Australia
    - What sort of tax implications are there
    - Can I transfer money back to the the UK at the end of my stay and at what cost

Many thanks
    Matt

Originally posted by northernladuk
    Wow. Congrats on putting so little effort in to do little research and asking a question that's going to take a small book to answer properly. You've excelled yourself there.

I hope you are not pinning your entire trip on the answer you are going to get........
    NorthernLadUK, most people come to forums for advice, not for sarcastic comments. I have done my research but I wanted other peoples opinion on things, I'm not looking for a "small book".
    Your comments reflect why forums get filled with so many pointless replys

Comment

You are absolutely correct. My apologies. The answers to your questions are

1) YANCOTBAC
      2) Have you asked your accountant?
      3) You need to bleed it
      4) AndyWs mum.

Thanks.
      Immature

Comment

Originally posted by mwyld View Post
        Hi,

I'm looking to go work out in Australia for a year or two as a contractor and have a few questions:

- I have a Working Holiday Visa however is this the right visa for contracting?
        - What is best: Trading under my UK ltd company or setting up a new company in Australia
        - What sort of tax implications are there
        - Can I transfer money back to the the UK at the end of my stay and at what cost

Many thanks
        Matt
        Not sure if this is of any use although basic.

IT Contracting in Australia - Money & Tax :: Contractor UK

Ignore NLUK - hopefully you may get some sensible replies or people point you in the right drection.
        Which is the point of this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post

Ignore NLUK - hopefully you may get some sensible replies or people point you in the right drection.
          This is Contractor UK... Given that its a UK based website its highly unlikely anyone on here can answer the current situation regarding what visa is required to take a temporary contract in Oz.

Surely its better for someone to point this out and suggest looking elsewhere rather than leaving the OP in limbo waiting for a response that will never appear because no-one on this site knows (or cares) what is needed to legally work in Australia
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thanks saptastic, some useful advise

Comment

Advice.
              Seeing as you know the word "advice" so well, it clearly shows you don't know what it means

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                This is Contractor UK... Given that its a UK based website its highly unlikely anyone on here can answer the current situation regarding what visa is required to take a temporary contract in Oz.

Surely its better for someone to point this out and suggest looking elsewhere rather than leaving the OP in limbo waiting for a response that will never appear because no-one on this site knows (or cares) what is needed to legally work in Australia
                Completely agree with you eek. It should be pointed out. Maybe no one has the answers here.
                However response of "Congrats on putting so little effort in to do little research and asking a question that's going to take a small book to answer properly. You've excelled yourself there" is not pointing this out and just turns people off from asking questions.

Comment

You are absolutely correct. My apologies. The answers to your questions are

1) YANCOTBAC
                  2) Have you asked your accountant?
                  3) You need to bleed it
                  4) AndyWs mum.
                  5) NLyUK

Thanks.
                  ATFY

Comment

Completely agree with you eek. It should be pointed out. Maybe no one has the answers here.
                    However response of "Congrats on putting so little effort in to do little research and asking a question that's going to take a small book to answer properly. You've excelled yourself there" is not pointing this out and just turns people off from asking questions.
                    But the OP wants a full blown guide on contracting in Australia covering multiple complex areas that need a lot of explaining and are dependant on a host of factors we don't know in just 4 lines. He's never going to get that anywhere. People just don't like answering lazy questions whatever forum it is.. For example.

Googling 'Working holiday visa australia' brings pages up like this one that clearly explain the limitations on the visa.
                    Australian Working Holiday Visa - Working Holiday Visa Australia: Working in Australia

What we don't know is the OP's plans for being out there? His age and other limitations to the visa so he can actually answer his own question at this point. That said he might want to add 'contracting' on to the end of that which brings up a couple of interesting threads.
                    In amongst the 1000's of results a few sites of interest appear.
                    This site comes up which might actually be more useful and worth a look
                    Jobs and work - Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information
                    And oddly there are a couple of results from a certain forum which might be worth a close look so lets search that forum.
                    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=au...d35tGABvP7tcAC

Well that's a lot of great information to look at. I've a feeling that many of the threads will start to answer his questions but I bet they aren't listed in oneliner bullet points like the OP's question so sadly he's going to have to do a bit of leg work. Tough life innit.

And that took me about 30 seconds.... You getting me now? Maybe if he'd read all that and come back with some specific questions he might of gotten somewhere.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X