• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice period again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice period again

I have a 6 month IT Services contract with the agency.
    The Client terminated after 6 weeks back filling my role with permanent employee as the contract was "too critical"
    I negotiated 2 weeks notice during the termination interview and worked this with approved time sheets.

The contract has several clauses and an addendum added by the Client that says 28 calendar days notice would be given irrespective of week worked IE as below:
    Where the Client requires Agency to terminate an assignment prior to the agreed end date for reasons
    other than insufficient performance then Computer People shall provide four weeks notice in relation to
    Professional/IT Contract Persons and shall reimburse Contractor/Personnel accordingly."

The agency's portion of the contract has a sliding notice period of 5 calendar days for less than 8 weeks work , 14 calendar days after 8 weeks worked, 26 calendar days after 28 weeks.

There is also an agency clause:
    The Company shall be entitled to suspend or terminate the Assignment forthwith without notice or liability at any time in the event of any of the following:
    "The Client requests that the Services cease or that the Personnel be removed from the Assignment for any reason "

If I use the Clients clause I am entitled to another 2 weeks notice.
    The agency disagrees siting the 'any reason clause' and is ignoring the addendum added by the the Client.

The contract appears unclear on the the notice period for early termination.
    Should I persist ? or settle with the 2 weeks.
    All advice welcome.

Invoice for work that you do. If there is work for 2 weeks then invoice for 2 weeks.

Just to be clear 2 weeks is very good as they could give you nothing

Comment

Depends, are the agency trying to pocket that extra 2 weeks notice pay for themselves...

Comment

Just take the 2 weeks, assuming that's all you are working.

No work, no pay in our game.

Add the agency to the list of twunts though as it sounds like they have been caught with their pants down and are squirming a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
          Depends, are the agency trying to pocket that extra 2 weeks notice pay for themselves...
          Doesn't matter. That's the upper contract and none of OP's business.

OP is within 8 weeks so on zero notice in their contract; as two weeks has been offered, I'd take it as it's two weeks more than they were entitled to.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Doesn't matter. That's the upper contract and none of OP's business.

OP is within 8 weeks so on zero notice in their contract; as two weeks has been offered, I'd take it as it's two weeks more than they were entitled to.
            ah missed that sorry, OP take the money and run!!

Comment

First time we've had a post with someone complaining they got given notice
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So OP what does your contract say? Surely all thats relevant is your contract with agency? Nothing else matters....

If it says zero then take the two weeks....
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Does it say whether the addendum takes priority over the contract, or vice versa?

Comment

"The Client requests that the Services cease or that the Personnel be removed from the Assignment for any reason "

Leaves you open to being instantly walked without liability. You're lucky you're getting two weeks simple as.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X