• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hostile Environment Day Rate Adjustment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LJD View Post
    And it's 2 weeks on a camp where it's strongly advised that you don't leave the perimeter.
    OMG it's Butlins!

I was offered double day rate (which would have meant, at the time, around £1200) for Columbia in the 90s. Still not enough, but not unreasonable.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

And it's 2 weeks on a camp where it's strongly advised that you don't leave the perimeter.
      To be fair that's the same advice most hotels in the Caribbean and Newcastle give you.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        OMG it's Butlins!

It's like Butlins, but with more facilities.

Comment

If it's just two weeks, ask for £15k. If they turn their nose up, ask them to make you an offer so you know what sort of figure they're thinking of.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I've worked in these environments before for them so I have no problems with that, and we would get an added payment of what essentially amounted to "danger" money of about £100 a day for working in those environments.
            You've worked these environments and know the score. But consider this:

If you've worked there as a permie for a BigCo, you will have been covered by their medical insurance.

You should check with the company that is sending you and ensure you are going to be covered for medical emergency's if you are a contractor/3rd party.

I had a situation in West Africa when a contractor team member went sick. When we took him to get medical attention and found out to our horror that contractors weren't covered ( we'd been assured they were by people back at UK HQ ).

Comment

My first contract was in Slough. The trick was to get to the Wetherspoon before dark and drink champagne until you were brave enough for a group dash to the Travelodge.

Comment

"danger" money of about £100 a day
                Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                My first contract was in Slough. The trick was to get to the Wetherspoon before dark and drink champagne until you were brave enough for a group dash to the Travelodge.
                What was yours?
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  What was yours?
                  As it was my first contract I bit their hand off for £500pd.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    As it was my first contract I bit their hand off for £500pd.
                    What, you didn't get a company shooter as an expense on top?
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Hi LJD, Whatever your line of work I'd say you're seriously underselling yourself there.

£100 isn't danger money.

That, for me, would cover the inconvenience of say working at a comfy EU site. Expenses would be on top. I'm not a contracting top-earner either.

I can understand those that would do "hostile", for the adventure, life experience, and an appropriate multiple of their basic rate (I'd guess x2-x5 depending upon the environment).

As an "independent", you can't expect the same support as you would from BigCo employer. Factor in contingency costs for various emergency scenarios. If there are none then you haven't thought it through.

Comment

Working...
                      X