• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self employed - contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    I probably charge about £7000 per annum. I only charge travel and accommodation and occasional purchases like a printer or laptop.

The expenditure comes off your profit so you save the income tax on the amount involved. Some contractors will try and charge for things that are not business related eg snacks and meals. I guess others charge for all sorts of things like tellies, cameras and so. Like IR35 or driving over the limit, it's a gamble that you probably get away with.
    All three are also illegal and carry nasty penalties, but hey...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by dranzer01 View Post
      thanks,

ive been researching all of this since thursday

as i was offered a 6 month contract role then to start tomorrow (monday)

i got everything in order on friday (company set up, accountant, business bank account, accountant will be setting me up for vat on monday, EL, PL, PI insurances)

but it was merely a wondering question as to how much contractors claim back on expenses, and does that decrease your monthly take home pay? (im pretty sure i read that somewhere...)

if i were to buy £4000 worth of equipment; i would receive £4000 back?
      As much as I'd like to mock you, I've got to say I am impressed you managed to get a business bank account set up in 1 day

Comment

Scary indeed.

OP - You do know you claim expenses on what you actually incur dont you? i.e. you dont make it up as you go along.

So why ask how much can I claim? If you drive 5 miles to client you claim 10x45p per day. If you live 50 miles you do likewise.

But please say you do know this comes out of your gross income? And its not an extra that you get paid.....
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X