• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Regd Contract renewal - Opinions please!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regd Contract renewal - Opinions please!

Now then, the current contract ends on 31st of July. The client manager wants me on for at least another year for a new project that begins in October, however the HR at the clientco are a bit funny.

Their policy states that no contractor should work for longer than 9 months in any calendar year. This means a three month break for me before I join back. However, the project on which the client manager wants me to start after a three month break, has an HR exception that allows contractors to work for 18 months without a break. She tried to put me on it straight away, but the HR suggested that I should take a holiday before I can join back and they have provided a provisional approval for it (everyone has targets to meet! )

The client manager wants me desperately (so she says, thankfully!) and she even wants to sort the paperwork for the contract from November 2016 for 18 months before the end of July.

She wants to do all the paperwork and a signed contract before I finish the current contract, to give me assurance that they are not playing with me and of course to get my assurance likewise. What are the panel's thoughts on:
    • Signing a contract three months in advance even before it begins?
    • Am I over analysing it if I say that if a role can be planned 3 months in advance then it can't be a contract role? Am I poking the tax man here?
    • Having 18 months duration for a contract? Remember it is a new contract after a three month break.
    • Worth taking a 3 month break for an 18 month contract? I personally would, as my warchest is healthy. However I would like to hear some non-monetary opinions.
    • Anything else?
    • How to spend the three month holiday. I shall ask that in General

Yes, I fully understand the risks involved here from a work perspective that they could ditch me anytime. That said, I have seen at least two contractors onboarded last week after their respective three months break.

Direct or through agent? (I'm guessing direct)

If it was me, I'd take the 3 month break.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Direct or through agent? (I'm guessing direct)

If it was me, I'd take the 3 month break.
      Thanks WTFH.

Through an agency. The client chose me and put me through one of their agencies. It will still be through the same agency (1 week payment terms and no restrictive covenants, if it helps.)

Comment

I suppose there' s no point in trying to educate Human Remains about the nonsense of the 9 months in a year ruling, which has no basis in employment law or commercial reality. Still, I suppose HR have to justify their existence somehow (and they could always try reading this guide, a bit old but still perfectly relevant)

There are no implications, it's a simple commercial decision. If you're happy to have a long summer break with a guaranteed contract at the end of it then go ahead. If not, look for a new gig and let your current client know you're not signing any commitments until they have a job for you to do.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Sign the contract. Look for another gig to keep you busy. Both will have termination clauses so you can decide.

HTH

Comment

If I had a guaranteed 18 monther in the bag I would relish the 3 months off (if I could afford it), holidays, hobbies and training over the summer months, I'd go for it.

Comment

Enjoy the summer off, but keep an eye on the "guaranteed" 18 monther. Sometimes these sort of things work out sometimes they don't.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                I suppose there' s no point in trying to educate Human Remains about the nonsense of the 9 months in a year ruling, which has no basis in employment law or commercial reality. Still, I suppose HR have to justify their existence somehow (and they could always try reading this guide, a bit old but still perfectly relevant)

There are no implications, it's a simple commercial decision. If you're happy to have a long summer break with a guaranteed contract at the end of it then go ahead. If not, look for a new gig and let your current client know you're not signing any commitments until they have a job for you to do.

Yes, HR at this clientco clearly want to show numbers and hence they are insisting upon this three month rule. Thanks for the reply though.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Sign the contract. Look for another gig to keep you busy. Both will have termination clauses so you can decide.

HTH
                Forgot the password for PC logon?

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                If I had a guaranteed 18 monther in the bag I would relish the 3 months off (if I could afford it), holidays, hobbies and training over the summer months, I'd go for it.
                Yep, agreed. I'll discuss my hobbies in General shortly

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                  The client manager wants me desperately (so she says, thankfully!)
                  This is where this post descended into a total farce for me
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    This is where this post descended into a total farce for me
                    Try that in General

I am a thorough professional

Comment

Working...
                    X