• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Types of contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Types of contracts

Hello,

I operate as a Limited Company but have been contracting for the same business for the past 2 years. Now this is coming to an end and I was approached about another opportunity.

I had a Skype chat with the CEO of a business that turns over hundreds of millions a year and I can sense their desperation. This is mainly because they wanted somebody locally (based in Central Europe), but couldn't find anybody suitable in this industry as it's relatively new in their country. So they were referred to me and I advised I cannot relocate but am happy to consult and train up local staff/head up their local team.

He invited me out to meet with some other stakeholders and on the call mentioned something about a contract for paying me for the preparatory work I would present to the other stakeholders as travel is costing me about €700 not to mention 2 days of my time, so I obviously need to be reimbursed.

I cannot remember the term he used and also wanted to know what would be common practice in this scenario as we haven't mentioned rates or whether it be daily, monthly/retainer etc. I'm trying to find a price point as I know they are desperate and need my assistance, but want to be careful about pricing myself out of the work as I do really want it. I don't want to be swayed by the success of their business as the fact they wanted somebody locally means they anticipated paying a local full time salary which is going to be significantly lower than what I require (at least 4x more).

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

Pitch it fixed price, including your expenses, to deliver that short piece of wort. Outline what the timescale is and what you'll be delivering, both at the meeting and anything afterwards.

Then you can use the outcome of that part of the work to scope the next piece of work (if anything) - or they can take your work and use it with other providers, in the same way that they could with a consultancy.

Comment

If IPR is involved, get that nailed down too - they may simply use you for a month and toss you aside, which is probably not what you're hoping for.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
      X