• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client co's tulip chair

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of places I've worked, contractors have had assessment's by HR and been provided with proper chairs.

I have no idea how this relates to IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
      A couple of places I've worked, contractors have had assessment's by HR and been provided with proper chairs.

Well you should. Not really the smartest thing to have something happen a couple of times that directly affects you and potentially ****s your IR35 position up yet you don't know how it relates. Sounds like a tickbox permacontractor to me.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Well you should. Not really the smartest thing to have something happen a couple of times that directly affects you and potentially ****s your IR35 position up yet you don't know how it relates. Sounds like a tickbox permacontractor to me.
        A client still has health and safety obligations to anyone working on its site. I very much doubt it has any bearing on IR35 at all. In fact I would be amazed.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post

IR35

I know employers have a duty of care to their staff but contractors are not their staff thus shouldn't be treated as such.
          Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
            A client still has health and safety obligations to anyone working on its site. I very much doubt it has any bearing on IR35 at all. In fact I would be amazed.
            Exactly. Why people think they are above all this just because they are contractors is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by vadhert View Post
              IR35

I know employers have a duty of care to their staff but contractors are not their staff thus shouldn't be treated as such.
              Erm, you sure about that? That mean they don't have to put a wet floor sign out in hazardous situations when contractors are around?

Comment

IR35

No, A client has a duty of care to anyone on their site. Even external contractors.

Contractors

If for the purposes of the contract a contractor needs to be onsite and has to use the client equipment. A laptop, desk and chair. Then the client would be expected to have carried out all the usual risk assessments and at least make sure the contractor has the right tools for the job.

Its simple logic to say if the provision of such basic office equipment is allowable then the provision of slightly modified equipment to take into account a contractors medical needs or disability to satisfy health and safety are going to be allowable as well. It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect a contractor to pay for it but the HMRC are going to have a hard time justifying its any worse than the normal provision of equipment from a client.
                Last edited by dx4100; 14 June 2016, 09:22.

Comment

Wet sign: Yes

New chair (As per context of this thread): No

Client co have provided a chair. Tulip or not. Personal circumstance or injury requiring a different chair should be provided by the contractor and not client co.
                  Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Wet sign: Yes

New chair (As per context of this thread): No

Client co have provided a chair. Tulip or not. Personal circumstance or injury requiring a different chair should be provided by the contractor and not client co.
                    Anything to back this up ? Link or otherwise ? or are you just guessing ?

I am just guessing above but I think its an educated guess.

Comment

IR35

Have a read of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.

One recent famous use of it was fining Hugo Boss when a mirror fell on a boy and killed him when the boy and his father were shopping.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X