• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency foot-dragging about issuing contract

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency foot-dragging about issuing contract

Hello everyone

I have recently been offered work which starts next week, due to it been short notice for the job they have over the past week been foot-dragging in giving me a contract. I suspect they might be using an old agency tactic to get me on the job before I have had a chance to review the contract for IR35 Contract Review and they might drop the contract on me either late this evening outside office hours or during the weekend when I do not have an option to get it reviewed (As a fyi I am using using Qqdos same day Full IR35 Contract Review which has a time limit of 12:00 am). I have already written a email saying I will not start work without a valid contract prior to which it needs to be reviewed.

I am in a strong frame of mind to withdraw my application today if it gets past 11:00 am but I need to ask; Is this the best option at hand? A second opinion would be good.(Also the agency used ambiguous wording promising the contract yesterday which did not occur)

I've read the guides on the site advising not to start without a contract but I have not found any where the agency sends the contract but there is no time to review it? Has anyone had a similar issues like this?

Simply tell them that you won't be able to start until you get the contract. Alert QDOS/B&C that you will need a quick turnaround (which you'll have to pay a bit extra for) and send it to them as soon as you receive it. It will be waiting for them in their inbox.

You will have to do your part as there are a number of questions you will have to answer, so get the paper work completed today.

Then don't turn up on Monday.

The agent will moan and whinge and threaten, but stay firm. There is a faint possibility that they would dump you, but for 2-3 days that's very unlikely.

What you *really* need to consider is what you will do if the contract fails the review.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Simply tell them that you won't be able to start until you get the contract. Alert QDOS/B&C that you will need a quick turnaround (which you'll have to pay a bit extra for) and send it to them as soon as you receive it. It will be waiting for them in their inbox.

You will have to do your part as there are a number of questions you will have to answer, so get the paper work completed today.

Then don't turn up on Monday.

The agent will moan and whinge and threaten, but stay firm. There is a faint possibility that they would dump you, but for 2-3 days that's very unlikely.

What you *really* need to consider is what you will do if the contract fails the review.
      Terribly sorry cojak (Still new to this entire business of contracts now that I have my LTD company) that abit about not turning up on monday had me stumped (Is this due to the agency having to ratify the amended contract or because If I go into work while it is been reviewed it means if the agency rejects would I in affect accepted the original contract?)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCountryContractor View Post
        Terribly sorry cojak (Still new to this entire business of contracts now that I have my LTD company) that abit about not turning up on monday had me stumped (Is this due to the agency having to ratify the amended contract or because If I go into work while it is been reviewed it means if the agency rejects would I in affect accepted the original contract?)
        It means that you may be regarded to accepting the original terms. When it comes to paperwork only start when everyone knows and has agreed (with signatures) exactly what the contract is
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

And check your insurances don't have clauses about only been valid when a written contract is in place.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks guys, I've emailed them now saying I have withdrawn my application as it is too short a timeframe to get in place the contract with the gig starting Monday.

Comment

Print off the PCG template contract. Get QDOS to strip out the bits that aren't relevant and send that to the agent. Tell them they are your contract terms and you will be starting under those terms unless you receive an agreed contract from them.

Comment

Thanks guys, I've emailed them now saying I have withdrawn my application as it is too short a timeframe to get in place the contract with the gig starting Monday.
                If you have the clients contract details I would ping over an email thanking them for the offer and highlighting the reason for you not accepting was the useless agency they are using.

Comment

Why have you withdrawn? You just needed to get the contract sorted. All you had to do was email saying that you didn't have the contract so wouldn't be starting Monday. Now it sounds like you don't have the work anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                    Why have you withdrawn? You just needed to get the contract sorted. All you had to do was email saying that you didn't have the contract so wouldn't be starting Monday. Now it sounds like you don't have the work anymore?
                    That's not scarey enough to kick the agent in to shape. They will have heard it a hundred times and the contractor turns up. Just look at the number of threads on here where contractors started without a signed contract.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X