• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency foot-dragging about issuing contract

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Never start a contract without a contract. Simple.

Have you asked the agency why they haven't sent one, knowing that you will not go on site without one?
    Agreed. But a lot will try it on because then:-

A) There no delay with getting body on site and money rolling in.
    B) Theres no work to do with amending the contract when contractor rejects it.

How many have experienced agencies who are slow to produce the actual contract but an opt form is sent within seconds?

Again, perfect situation with least hasssle for agent is you on site, having by default accepted the contract and opted out. Perfect day for an agent that is. If they can swing a "client has cut the budget by £50" a day before as well they'll laughing their nuts off.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Agree that, to a certain extent, you've got to put your foot down but this is too high risk for me.
      We are well aware of that.

I'm all for not letting agents get away with their crap but you've got to stop somewhere.

Agent trying to get contractor in there without signed contract is, and he knows it, trying it on. Might get away with it a lot of the time, but if said contractor politely declines to fall for it, they're attitude is going to be oh well never mind, didnt work with this one.
      'Didn't work with this one so I'll pull my finger out and do it properly else I'll lose money' you mean?
      I would suggest that not many contractors will withdraw like the OP has done. Agent is going to be thinking WTF is going on here. As you said, agent just wants to get his commision fast - he doesnt care about OP. If he thinks its now less hassle to get a 2nd choice in then he will do so.
      But again, common sense. How can him getting a contract over to the chosen guy be less hassle than going for option 2?

Client is never going to know. Chances are agent has already asked if they had a 2nd choice 'just in case'. Agent may now well be going to the client and advising them that their 1st choice is messing everyone around and has now withdrawn because hes gone somewhere else BUT luckily, the 2nd choice is looking good.
      Absolute guesswork as usual. Agents do not ask 2nd choices just in case. You can't be making stories up and think it's anywhere near reality. It doesn't help one iota. Why on earth would he do all this instead of just getting a contract to the OP in a decent time frame even if there was the remotest chance this might actually be reality.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Agreed. But a lot will try it on because then:-
        Really, can't remember it happening to me and if 'a lot' tried it on we'd see many more posts on here than we do. I'd say you are guessing again. You are forgetting in many cases you can interview Tuesday and be invited to site Monday. Doesn't exactly leave a lot of time to get the contract prepared and over. It might be late due to short timescales, not devious agents.

A) There no delay with getting body on site and money rolling in.
        B) Theres no work to do with amending the contract when contractor rejects it.

How many have experienced agencies who are slow to produce the actual contract but an opt form is sent within seconds?

Again, perfect situation with least hasssle for agent is you on site, having by default accepted the contract and opted out. Perfect day for an agent that is. If they can swing a "client has cut the budget by £50" a day before as well they'll laughing their nuts off.
        I'll be this is so far from the truth in most cases. You are letting your poor opinion of agents cloud your judgement. What model would be better for them to run. This one, a right mess, pretty unprofessional and leaves a lot to the last minute or do it properly, get a contract to the candidate, deal with the possibility of IR35 issues in the contract as they arise?

One is easy, slick and good business. The other is just crap. I know they can be snake oils salesmen but surely most of them can still run a decent business.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          We are well aware of that.

'Didn't work with this one so I'll pull my finger out and do it properly else I'll lose money' you mean?

But again, common sense. How can him getting a contract over to the chosen guy be less hassle than going for option 2?

Absolute guesswork as usual. Agents do not ask 2nd choices just in case. You can't be making stories up and think it's anywhere near reality. It doesn't help one iota. Why on earth would he do all this instead of just getting a contract to the OP in a decent time frame even if there was the remotest chance this might actually be reality.
          Because by withdrawing agent is going to be thinking maybe hes got something else and is really going to drop me. Bulltulip - its common practice for agents to keep a 2nd choice dangling just in case the 1st choice doesnt come good. They'd be stupid not.

Client would be well wassed off if they interviewed 5 people chose one, they turned it down and agent said Oops sorry I told the other 4 it was a no go.

Comment

Because by withdrawing agent is going to be thinking maybe hes got something else and is really going to drop me. Bulltulip - its common practice for agents to keep a 2nd choice dangling just in case the 1st choice doesnt come good. They'd be stupid not.
            The OP has made it very clear why he's not taking the gig and what the agent needs to do fix it. Why do you always try guess what is going on and get it so wrong?

Comment

You'd think by now that they'd have two separate sets of contractual clauses to help get their fee earners (and let's not be under any illusions that we're any more than that to them) on site as quickly as possible with least chance of us bailing out because of IR35 or other stupid clauses.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Really, can't remember it happening to me and if 'a lot' tried it on we'd see many more posts on here than we do. I'd say you are guessing again. You are forgetting in many cases you can interview Tuesday and be invited to site Monday. Doesn't exactly leave a lot of time to get the contract prepared and over. It might be late due to short timescales, not devious agents.

I'll be this is so far from the truth in most cases. You are letting your poor opinion of agents cloud your judgement. What model would be better for them to run. This one, a right mess, pretty unprofessional and leaves a lot to the last minute or do it properly, get a contract to the candidate, deal with the possibility of IR35 issues in the contract as they arise?

One is easy, slick and good business. The other is just crap. I know they can be snake oils salesmen but surely most of them can still run a decent business.
                A lot of times this has happened to me. OK some agents have done it properly. But one the big ones (Hays) does this as standard practice it seems -as posts on here have highlighted.

All I can imagine is they get away with it a lot so why not try it on? Less hassle for them. Drop the contract AFTER start no arguments then its too late. No waiting for reviews - get contractor to start asap to get money rolling in.

Comment

The OP has made it very clear why he's not taking the gig and what the agent needs to do fix it. Why do you always try guess what is going on and get it so wrong?
                  Because I've been in the game a long time and seen it happen like this......
                  Just because I dont agree with you again though.....

Comment

A lot of times this has happened to me.
                    A lot of stuff seems to happen to you. Odd that innit.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Never start a contract without a contract. Simple.

Have you asked the agency why they haven't sent one, knowing that you will not go on site without one?
                      Indeed the clue is in the name Contractor

Comment

Working...
                      X