• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency foot-dragging about issuing contract

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I say withdraw? No I didn't.

This is a game between the agent and the contractor which you have both lost.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      That's not scarey enough to kick the agent in to shape. They will have heard it a hundred times and the contractor turns up. Just look at the number of threads on here where contractors started without a signed contract.
      Only been in that situation once and the agent stayed late to get required changes authorised and made so I could start as planned.

Withdrawing may do the trick but seems a bit high risk!

Comment

+1. When you advise the agent that you can't turn up to site as you don't have a contract, and follow through on it and then don't actually turn up, you'll likely receive a contract within a couple of hours....
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Also if you have the client's contact details get in touch with them directly and apologise for not being able to start on Monday. Explain the agent hasn't given you a contract so until they do and it is reviewed by your legal expert you can't start.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I agree - withdrawing seems massively drastic. I'd have said that I wasn't going to be able to start on Monday as I need at least X business days to review the contract before starting. No way would I withdraw! Crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCountryContractor View Post
              Thanks guys, I've emailed them now saying I have withdrawn my application as it is too short a timeframe to get in place the contract with the gig starting Monday.
              What on earth did you do that for?????

There was no need at all. You do know that the monday start was quite possibly the day the agent had in their head and not the client?

Many people have started gigs that the agent said was urgent and then found out the client wasnt that bothered about start date. Agent is though - they want their money coming in! Better if they can shaft you without a contract in place.

All you had to do was say to agent, please send me the contract NOW, it'll take 2 days to get reviewed possibly, sorry for the inconvenience but hopefully we can get this sorted asap and I can start asap. Over to them.... At this point, agent is thinking, oh well worth a try, he didnt fall for it, better do it properly.

I'll bet within 30 secs agent was on phone to the 2nd choice (who he probably has told that the client is still making a decision - keeping them hanging on just in case of issues like this) and has now offered it to him. And trying the same tricks....
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                Only been in that situation once and the agent stayed late to get required changes authorised and made so I could start as planned.

Withdrawing may do the trick but seems a bit high risk!
                Way too high risk - if agent has a 2nd choice on the hook they'll consider dumping the OP I reckon. Just in case OP really does want to withdraw - agent will be thinking OP has got something else lined up. Why risk it when hes got a possible no2 lined up?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Way too high risk - if agent has a 2nd choice on the hook they'll consider dumping the OP I reckon. Just in case OP really does want to withdraw - agent will be thinking OP has got something else lined up. Why risk it when hes got a possible no2 lined up?
                  Yeah but you've got to apply some common sense here. The agent has 2 choices. Fixes the problem sharpish and might lose a day or two commission to get done what he should have, or go for the 2nd guy who might not be available, will take much longer to get on board and potentially may do exactly the same thing. Client won't be right happy either.

We might think this is high risk by the OP but it's just as high risk for the agent.

I agree it's a tad strong but we often tout the advice to threaten to walk if you don't like something and here we have a guy that's taken that advice. I do hope it is just a threat to play the game though. His intentions are not fully clear but I am assuming it is.

He might have worded it slightly better with the threat to pull out but again we are back to threats having to have teeth and being back to a position of who blinks first. He's stuck it to the agent who will have no choice but to step up. Even if he doesn't I don't think it's unsaveable. If, in an extremely unfortunate situation, the agent does want to cut his own nose off, the OP could eat a big slice of humble pie and save the situation. The agent is going to go down any route he can to make sure his commission hits fast.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Yeah but you've got to apply some common sense here. The agent has 2 choices. Fixes the problem sharpish and might lose a day or two commission to get done what he should have, or go for the 2nd guy who might not be available, will take much longer to get on board and potentially may do exactly the same thing. Client won't be right happy either.

We might think this is high risk by the OP but it's just as high risk for the agent.

I agree it's a tad strong but we often tout the advice to threaten to walk if you don't like something and here we have a guy that's taken that advice. I do hope it is just a threat to play the game though. His intentions are not fully clear but I am assuming it is.

He might have worded it slightly better with the threat to pull out but again we are back to threats having to have teeth and being back to a position of who blinks first. He's stuck it to the agent who will have no choice but to step up. Even if he doesn't I don't think it's unsaveable. If, in an extremely unfortunate situation, the agent does want to cut his own nose off, the OP could eat a big slice of humble pie and save the situation. The agent is going to go down any route he can to make sure his commission hits fast.
                    Agree that, to a certain extent, you've got to put your foot down but this is too high risk for me.

I'm all for not letting agents get away with their crap but you've got to stop somewhere.

Agent trying to get contractor in there without signed contract is, and he knows it, trying it on. Might get away with it a lot of the time, but if said contractor politely declines to fall for it, they're attitude is going to be oh well never mind, didnt work with this one.

I would suggest that not many contractors will withdraw like the OP has done. Agent is going to be thinking WTF is going on here. As you said, agent just wants to get his commision fast - he doesnt care about OP. If he thinks its now less hassle to get a 2nd choice in then he will do so.

Client is never going to know. Chances are agent has already asked if they had a 2nd choice 'just in case'. Agent may now well be going to the client and advising them that their 1st choice is messing everyone around and has now withdrawn because hes gone somewhere else BUT luckily, the 2nd choice is looking good.

Comment

Never start a contract without a contract. Simple.

Have you asked the agency why they haven't sent one, knowing that you will not go on site without one?
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X