• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working inside IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lacan View Post
    So to update on this - I have had a talk to the client about it and they are taking it to the HR people. They may be willing to be flexible, if not I will stick inside but probably avoid any renewal.

It seems as I thought and the client is not all that familiar with IR35 in practical terms, they are a fairly new organisation.

Surely if contractors wish to operate outside IR35, it's in our advantage to talk to clients about this and request adjustments? Or do all other contractors simply flounce from a contract if it turns out to be inside?
    Not really. Generally our tax problems are of no concern to the client. The fact you are inside our outside doesn't matter one jot to them. That said... If they can't get the right person then it is in their interests to be flexible about it BUT being flexible means they must have the right mindset, understand what you are and engage you properly.
    If flexible means willing to put sham clauses in just to get you outside then you've gained nothing but a potential problem. HMRC will interview them and if they explain they just wanted a permatemp but fudged it for you to be outside you are screwed. I'd not be entertaining that for one minute. It's either genuinely outside and can defend that successfully or I walk. The stress and numbers involved in investigations are just not worth the risk for me and there is always other work out there. There has to be else contracting wouldn't work.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Not really. Generally our tax problems are of no concern to the client. The fact you are inside our outside doesn't matter one jot to them. That said... If they can't get the right person then it is in their interests to be flexible about it BUT being flexible means they must have the right mindset, understand what you are and engage you properly.
      If flexible means willing to put sham clauses in just to get you outside then you've gained nothing but a potential problem. HMRC will interview them and if they explain they just wanted a permatemp but fudged it for you to be outside you are screwed. I'd not be entertaining that for one minute. It's either genuinely outside and can defend that successfully or I walk. The stress and numbers involved in investigations are just not worth the risk for me and there is always other work out there. There has to be else contracting wouldn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
        Coming from the guy that posted 'Xenofobia' in Word Associations....
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just to be clear, I am talking about setting the right working practices - not just fudging a contract to look good, I have no interest in that. I see what you are saying though, the degree of flexibility is around which party needs the other more.

Clients won't care about our tax status, but they will care about attracting the best contractors, and keeping them on for renewals. So it is in clients interest to be genuinely IR35 compliant.
          Hiring anyone is a right pain, if they spend a week dealing with that, only to have the contractor walk on the first day over conditions would they just shrug? They might have a second choice lined up but what's to say they won't do the same.

The idea that clients are not willing to being compliant is different from the idea that they just do not know how - and if they don't who will explain it to them but contractors?

This is surely a part of doing good business, rather than just packing it in and going elsewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Coming from the guy that posted 'Xenofobia' in Word Associations....
            This come from a guy that’s always pouncing my spelling errors, complaining that I don’t use the speller check makes you look like a fool.

At least I have an excuse, I’m not British.

Correct your errors and shut up.

Comment

Just to be clear, I am talking about setting the right working practices - not just fudging a contract to look good, I have no interest in that. I see what you are saying though, the degree of flexibility is around which party needs the other more.

Clients won't care about our tax status, but they will care about attracting the best contractors, and keeping them on for renewals. So it is in clients interest to be genuinely IR35 compliant.
              Hiring anyone is a right pain, if they spend a week dealing with that, only to have the contractor walk on the first day over conditions would they just shrug? They might have a second choice lined up but what's to say they won't do the same.

The idea that clients are not willing to being compliant is different from the idea that they just do not know how - and if they don't who will explain it to them but contractors?

This is surely a part of doing good business, rather than just packing it in and going elsewhere?
              While you're right, there are too many contractors who will blindly accept a contract as outside of IR35 because the agent told them that it was, so why, in their mind, should they bend over for a fussy one?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                While you're right, there are too many contractors who will blindly accept a contract as outside of IR35 because the agent told them that it was, so why, in their mind, should they bend over for a fussy one?
                Because it is the law? Is that just me being naive?

If HMRC wishes to enforce IR35 better, would it not make sense to make clients just as liable as contractors? As far as I can see, the burden lies with contractors only. Even though clients are the ones writing the contracts and setting the working conditions.

Comment

If HMRC wishes to enforce IR35 better, would it not make sense to make clients just as liable as contractors? As far as I can see, the burden lies with contractors only. Even though clients are the ones writing the contracts and setting the working conditions.
                  Agents write the contracts while clients provide the working conditions.

When clients write the contracts those in the know ensure you are outside IR35.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Unfortunately naïve. Clients, as NLUK said, don't give a toss about our tax status. It's up to us as a business to do so because we have to. Their company lawyer(s) and accountants will handle their tax status. At its simplest level (the contract), QDOS (for example) will handle ours and our accountant will implement accordingly.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                      This come from a guy that’s always pouncing my spelling errors, complaining that I don’t use the speller check makes you look like a fool.

At least I have an excuse, I’m not British.

Correct your errors and shut up.
                      In the words of Micheal Winner 'Calm down dear'

Comment

Working...
                      X