• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Working Practices Review and Software Code Reviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    To some extent yes I guess. Google the QDOS working practices form and have a look for yourself.

It's not compliant. It's inside or outside. When you say lower rates, what positions are you talking about. 1st/2nd line stuff?
    Hmmm...What is meant by IR35 compliance?

Senior Developer...

Comment

Originally posted by sdyson31 View Post
      Hmmm...What is meant by IR35 compliance?

Senior Developer...
      Not quite sure. I'd guess compliant to be outside which is the aim but I'm just not a fan of that term. It's used by the clever people so maybe it is the correct term. 9 letter words do confuse me but I can understand inside and outside
      http://www.contractoruk.com/ir35/how...t_by_ir35.html
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not quite sure. I'd guess compliant to be outside which is the aim but I'm just not a fan of that term. It's used by the clever people so maybe it is the correct term. 9 letter words do confuse me but I can understand inside and outside
        IR35 test l How will I know if I am caught by IR35 and what will it cost me? :: Contractor UK
        very interesting case....IR35 defeat costs IT contractor £99,000 :: Contractor UK

"We have seen many cases here where the upper contract conflicts with the lower one making the lower contract little more than a sham.

"Contracts should reflect the actual working arrangements and any changes to contracts should be agreed with the agency and the client. Many agencies are happy to confirm the position with their clients and some have a clause in the lower contract confirming that the contracts are back to back.

Comment

very interesting case....IR35 defeat costs IT contractor £99,000 :: Contractor UK

"We have seen many cases here where the upper contract conflicts with the lower one making the lower contract little more than a sham.

"Contracts should reflect the actual working arrangements and any changes to contracts should be agreed with the agency and the client. Many agencies are happy to confirm the position with their clients and some have a clause in the lower contract confirming that the contracts are back to back.
          When you get your contracts reviewed and the agency is agreeing changes ask them this simple question - "Does this match the upper contract?"

The agents who aren't complete lazy [insert swear word] will inform you that:
          a. They will change a clause to match the clause in the upper contract
          b. They will not change a clause otherwise it won't match the upper contract
          c. The clause isn't in the upper contract so they will change it to your wording

On some rare occasions you will receive what looks like a completely new contract for simply asking that question.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            When you get your contracts reviewed and the agency is agreeing changes ask them this simple question - "Does this match the upper contract?"

The agents who aren't complete lazy [insert swear word] will inform you that:
            a. They will change a clause to match the clause in the upper contract
            b. They will not change a clause otherwise it won't match the upper contract
            c. The clause isn't in the upper contract so they will change it to your wording

On some rare occasions you will receive what looks like a completely new contract for simply asking that question.
            I have asked them , lets see what i get.

Comment

This is what i received from an agent;

We believe our contracts are IR35 compliant, if u want to get the contract checked by an Accountant or Lawyer you can.

We have hundreds of contractors working for xyz across the UK and non of them have fell foul of HMRC IR35 compliance.

If this is a role you want to proceed with let me know

Comment

And?

Comment

And?
                  I really don't know how to deal with them.

I won't start if the contract is inside IR35.

Comment

So time to start searching the forum and thinking then. You could be just another tickbox contractor or you can start understanding what it's all about. No point being outside if you don't know what that means or looks like.

Comment

This is what i received from an agent;

We believe our contracts are IR35 compliant, if u want to get the contract checked by an Accountant or Lawyer you can.

We have hundreds of contractors working for xyz across the UK and non of them have fell foul of HMRC IR35 compliance.

If this is a role you want to proceed with let me know
                      After one interview I spoke to another contractor on-site before leaving who said they had their contract reviewed and bits changed. So on the phone the next day after I said I was getting the contract reviewed the agent did his "speech". I told him about the other contractor. The agent went quiet before we moved on to talk about how we would sort the to-ing and fro-ing in the review process due to the weekend. I am still in contact with the people from that agency today.

Moral of the story - sometimes it's better to do bits of contract negotiation on the telephone.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X