• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Working Practices Review and Software Code Reviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure where this discussion about SDC is coming from. Sure, "supervision" is an element of control in the existing IR35 test, but only one element, and D&C is only one element of IR35. Without knowing the details of the review, it's difficult to comment, but this is one reason you need a reviewer that really knows their stuff (because less competent reviewers may have a tendency to be too risk averse). Again, I'm not passing comment on this particular review, just the discussion that has followed here. You need to separate IR35 and SDC in your minds, at least for now.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      Not sure where this discussion about SDC is coming from. Sure, "supervision" is an element of control in the existing IR35 test, but only one element, and D&C is only one element of IR35. Without knowing the details of the review, it's difficult to comment, but this is one reason you need a reviewer that really knows their stuff (because less competent reviewers may have a tendency to be too risk averse). Again, I'm not passing comment on this particular review, just the discussion that has followed here. You need to separate IR35 and SDC in your minds, at least for now.
      A point I've been making since the fifth post

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
        A point I've been making since the fifth post
        I think she wants a Blue Peter badge

Comment

So going back to the OP post...

It does seem highly questionable why its failed the review on that one point ? I would be going back to them for further clarification on the reasoning.

Comment

I don't understand how a software development contractor's work practices could, in practice, enable right of substitution.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
              I don't understand how a software development contractor's work practices could, in practice, enable right of substitution.
              From your previous posting record I'm not surprised.

If you can bring a contractor into to do a piece of work then you can substitute them. A piece of work in this instance is one task. The task should take a maximum of two days.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Ouch but good spot
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Ouch but good spot
                  I changed it from something ruder before I hit post.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

If you can bring a contractor into to do a piece of work then you can substitute them. A piece of work in this instance is one task. The task should take a maximum of two days.
                    Yawn (expected based on previous posting history).

If you read my OP you'd see that I said in practice. Can you really see a client, on go-live week say yes to 'I'm not around this week but I'm bringing my mate in'.

Task should take 2 days? I'm able to finish my tasks in 1.9 days

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Ouch but good spot
                      Oh here comes in cavalry in the form of grumpy balls who claims to such a pillar of contracting professionalism yet allows his client to pay for him to spend his day evacuating persecutory emotions via an internet message board.

Comment

Working...
                      X