• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    It was probably the case once but the City is in retreat at the moment and is taking the rest of the market down with it.

There is no endless supply of contracting work in London, South East or anywhere anymore.
    As I said, the market is contracting. But if an area has a higher number of jobs \ roles to start with than the rest of the country, in a contracting market that area will still have more jobs and roles than the others.

Those jobs \ roles may very well attract a lower rate in some sectors, supply and demand still prevails afterall.

Has anyone see the number of contracting roles in the geographic area from Birmingham to Newcastle? There's hardly any. Check it out. I know the number of roles for London and the SE easily outnumber them.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
      Has anyone see the number of contracting roles in the geographic area from Birmingham to Newcastle? There's hardly any. Check it out. I know the number of roles for London and the SE easily outnumber them.
      That's hardly news, that's always been the case
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

As I said, the market is contracting. But if an area has a higher number of jobs \ roles to start with than the rest of the country, in a contracting market that area will still have more jobs and roles than the others.

Those jobs \ roles may very well attract a lower rate in some sectors, supply and demand still prevails afterall.

It might very well be better than other areas of the country but hardly makes it a land of milk and honey. Also we tend to be a fairly mobile lot so regional differences get smoothed out to an extent.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
          Sorry to hear about that but sadly its not going to change anytime soon UK companies are simply addicted to cheap import labour no matter what the long term ramifications are. Its not just IT many other sectors are crammed to bursting with a cheap import workforce. UK Government are only going to take action when they see a noticeable increase in unemployed or economically inactive (its already just under 10M not sure how high it needs to climb before they take any action). Many people currently in IT perm or otherwise will be affected sooner or later as the imported cheap labour force reaches more and more UK businesses when they look to contain rising costs.
          I hoped Brexit would have fixed that....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Roughly 50% of immigration could have been sorted by the government without leaving the EU but they never made a serious attempt.

Comment

You dont half chat some bollocks se.

London and the SE has the highest density of people and jobs. Therefore, if you live in London and the SE you have a near never ending supply of work.

People from all over the country gravitate to London and the SE to join (or just stay in) the market and the generally higher rates on offer.
              Ever heard of remote working? Allows you to have clients outside your local area including nationally and internationally. Though to be fair they randomly expect you to take trips to their office(s) so it helps if you live near a motorway, railway station and/or airport.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Our company uses remote contractors. Sometimes the office is fairly empty and then you switch on the video conference and an army of contractors appear on the screen.

This is the future, Brexit or visa restrictions won't help.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

It's probably less confusing if you use a different word than "contracting" when talking about a contracting contracting market

Comment

Contracting is contracting

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      It should do but powerful forces within government lobbying clearly have friends in low places who are addicted to the cheap import labour market as it boosts profits short term!!

Comment

Working...
                      X