• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    So why did you need to ask?
    I wanted the OP's opinion. I was surprised s/he seems relaxed about it.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
      I wanted the OP's opinion. I was surprised s/he seems relaxed about it.
      Does it matter if he is relaxed about it or not? He can't change the fact. It would be like having concerns about gravity, i.e. you can't do anything about it.

Each and every agent is different. Some don't like seeing short term contracts. Some probably don't like long gaps.

Sadly those are the cards we are dealt.

Comment

Agents are numpties. Even if you have been contracting chocablock for years, they still want to know 'what ya been up to' since the last one ended. Ya'll are deluded if you think breaks aren't a disadvantage in these competitive times.
        They are just checking you haven't been held at her Majesty's pleasure or have holidayed doing particular activities.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          Does it matter if he is relaxed about it or not? He can't change the fact. It would be like having concerns about gravity, i.e. you can't do anything about it.

Each and every agent is different. Some don't like seeing short term contracts. Some probably don't like long gaps.

Sadly those are the cards we are dealt.
          It may not matter to you but then again, you didn't ask the question.

I, on the other hand, did ask. I asked because I'm on a break and enjoying it. The only nagging doubt I have about this break is having to explain to agents that I'm a contractor who took a break between gigs to upskill/recharge batteries.

If the OP told me their breaks don't concern them as they've never disadvantaged them before then that's an opinion I might value.

Comment

It may not matter to you but then again, you didn't ask the question.

I, on the other hand, did ask. I asked because I'm on a break and enjoying it. The only nagging doubt I have about this break is having to explain to agents that I'm a contractor who took a break between gigs to upskill/recharge batteries.

If the OP told me their breaks don't concern them as they've never disadvantaged them before then that's an opinion I might value.
            If you are good it won't be a problem.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you are good it won't be a problem
              That's said a lot but if its not an agent you know and have a good relationship with then how will the company know if the client never sees your CV as the agent has decided you are more of a problem as you have a gap regardless of your skills and decide on another 5 CVs to put before your if not instead of yours and dismiss yours completely.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                That's said a lot but if its not an agent you know and have a good relationship with then how will the company know if the client never sees your CV as the agent has decided you are more of a problem as you have a gap regardless of your skills and decide on another 5 CVs to put before your if not instead of yours and dismiss yours completely.
                In my experience getting through an agent you don't have any history with is extremely difficult anyway.

All about the network now.

Comment

Keep looking everyone do not give up a lot of roles were posted on Jobserve yesterday by agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                    Keep looking everyone do not give up a lot of roles were posted on Jobserve yesterday by agencies.
                    Purely based on my experience there wasn't much of a wind down over Christmas. December was the best month in the search so far and Jobserve is fairly much back to normal already (granted not an entirely reliable metric).

Last time I was looking for something at the end of the year the industry seemed to pack up in mid November!

Comment

I left my permie job in June 2014, took a seven month break, secured contract that started Feb 2015.

It doesn't have to hold you back.

Comment

Working...
                      X