• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Never in my experience.

My Company Bank Account has been thanking James Gosling for twenty years or so now.
    Me too! I have been carefully watching Oracle and their attitude to the Java community. It seems they are trying to be forward thinking! Unlike Microsoft in the Balmer era when they killed off SilverLight with little notice, added breaking changes to C#, and Dot Net.

Recently, I have been tempted to look at Apple's Swift, because already learnt and wrote an Android app several years ago. I think Swift is still in its Playground phase though. It is fine if you want mobile native development or contract in that space.

I think Java will be here in 10 years from now and be relevant if Oracle can sort sheer spectrum of future infrastructure. I expect huge demands on RAM memory from huge 1TB plus Virtual Machine memory and the Internet of Things 128MB. The genius is in the Garbage Collector. I remember writing C/C++ program and having to rely on pointers and those fabulous core dumps! There is obviously people over engineering on multi-core and the AZUL chip will have get 1000 no doubt short, but which programming language and platforms can fully utilise them today. Memory, memory, memory and working out to distribute it across multiple machines and CPU processes will be important still in 10 years.

Incidentally, on Thursday I accepted a job offer. I was down my usual last contract rate by £20 per day. Additionally, I will have to drive 50 miles or so there and back, but *tulip* it X-mas is coming, yo. I must feed my family! I could've waited for potential F2F interviews that would have paid allegedly £100 per day more than my usual day rate and in my *tulip* home town, but in the end, I decided to jump on the first reasonable, rate wise, technology modern, and decent client that made the contract offer.

There must be some kind of queuing system out in the economy. My new client wanted definitely experience and technology know-how, so this was still very important to assert in my interviews. I hope you all get something very soon, before Deutsche and Commerzebank both fall off over the edge of the Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
      Never in my experience.

My Company Bank Account has been thanking James Gosling for twenty years or so now.
      Possibly the uptake kept going, but the language wasn't developed for a good few years. Having said that, the new C# only really has a bit of window dressing, no really useful new features.

Comment

Had three leads last week but came to nothing. Been quiet this week.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          Had three leads last week but came to nothing. Been quiet this week.
          Had quite a bit of action this week already including a face-to-face where it turned out the stack wasn't in keeping with the spec. and they were committed to some antiquated framework from 5 years ago. A long time in the web world. Didn't respect the interviewer either. Real miserable/arrogant s0d.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
            Had quite a bit of action this week already including a face-to-face where it turned out the stack wasn't in keeping with the spec. and they were committed to some antiquated framework from 5 years ago. A long time in the web world. Didn't respect the interviewer either. Real miserable/arrogant s0d.
            At least things are warming ups for you.

Comment

Project Management market remained as good as dead post the summer break. Even the agents agree. A lot of the roles that have come up are digital related which pay low rates, or regulatory banking roles which I have never wanted to get involved with.

I did apply on invitation for a BizTalk developer role last week on the off chance...

Comment

I'm close to the point now where I may have to start doing a bit of bottom feeding.

There's a few roles I've been approached about which have been paying up to 25% below what I've been working for over the last 5 years or so.

You start to get the mentality whereby it would be good to secure something just so you're treading water financially to get you past Christmas & into the New Year. I've got money in the bank, just don't want to eat into it.

Comment

Rumour has it 500 contractors have been shown the door in Edinburgh - that isn't going help with Williams and Glyn having already cleared out a lot
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The new most stressful jobs in banking and finance - eFinancialCareers

MiFID seems strong

Comment

Still booming in Western Canada

Comment

Working...
                      X