• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
    Interestingly I was speaking to my old boss the other day and he said he is really struggling to fill my prior position; I know that's permie not temp, but he said he had interviewed 12 candidates at the same money and none of them had the skills we was looking for.

The salary they're offering is relatively competitive based on their location too.
    Maybe you were underpaid?? I know my old role still hasn't been filled and i've been contracting most of the year. Being underpaid for my skillset and experience was one of the reasons I looked at contacting.

Comment

A director in another area at my current client said to me yesterday that when my current contract ends he would like to bring me into his area, as he is struggling to find quality contract resource at the moment. Nice compliment I thought (I don't get many normally...).

Comment

Somewhat unscientific but I got the impression sentiment was a bit more confident here in the last couple of months?

Comment

It was bad and now it isn't quite as bad as it was.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
            Maybe you were underpaid?? I know my old role still hasn't been filled and i've been contracting most of the year. Being underpaid for my skillset and experience was one of the reasons I looked at contacting.
            Mmm, possibly. I don't think so though - I certainly didn't double my salary like most when I went contracting, although take home has increased by about 50%. I felt pretty well remunerated for my role whilst I was in it, the contracting thing for me was more of a lifestyle choice with the nice addition of extra money.

Comment

Boom selecta - working through to Christmas now.

Momma's gonna pay her tax bill!
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Halcyon days

I'm finding it bouyant in my line of work but - and it's a big but - the few agencies I did contact earlier this month when looking for a gig were shocking. Straight out of Uni with phones strapped to their heads banging on about astronomic day rates then not even acknowledging receipt of my CV. Fortunately it was only a few days from bench to contract via contacts so I didn't need to persevere but...wasn't an enervating experience.

Reminiscing, I well remember my first contracts in the 90's - the 'old and bold' (mid-40s) gents' wives had taxi companies. With one car - usually an S-class. How did they get to work...

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                  Boom selecta - working through to Christmas now.

Momma's gonna pay her tax bill!
                  I salute you!

Comment

Finishing up at Christmas - with a bonus enforced extra week off.

State of the market = a bit of interest and one very dry interview, but no prospect as yet of having anything to go to in January.

Shuffle up!
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

PS what line of IT are you in? The infrastructure market around the south is veryyyyyy quiet. There are a lot of agents fishing for "references" via fake job ads at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                      X