• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
    I thought it was a string pointer to you being a business rather than an employee though. Although on a per contract basis I guess it wouldn't matter. IR35 is such a cluster****. I'm simply not going to think about it any more. By the time they get round to me the libdems will be in power.
    You are right about that.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by matzie View Post
      Boom - just extended until the end of the year. Client really dragged their heels though, didn't think it was going to happen. Usual mix of relief and depression!
      Nice one.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
        I thought it was a string pointer to you being a business rather than an employee though. Although on a per contract basis I guess it wouldn't matter. IR35 is such a cluster****. I'm simply not going to think about it any more. By the time they get round to me the libdems will be in power.
        That would explain the memory errors they keep having
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          That would explain the memory errors they keep having
          With IR35 perhaps a void pointer would be more apt.

Comment

lucky again

so left company on tuesday as they where getting rid of 10-15% it bods - account disabled and sat at home but they're paying my ltd co till august 28th; had a telephone interview tue then a google hangouts interview, and then f2f wed, offered verbally yesterday and have paperwork today - having another week off and start new 6 month contract :-)

i do realise I'm lucky and that luck will eventually run out, same thing has happened about 4 times in last few years - seems to be coming more frequent, I think with decline in market but also with a change in technology - in the early days (when I where a lad!) - contracts did seem to be rolling/forever - but now more specific, project based.

anyway - double invoicing for a few weeks, off for some bubbly! have a great weekend everyone.

Comment

Boomed Me too!

In the first week of July, contract came to an unexpected end.

I had been interviewing, discussing and pushing my skills with a big-name third party consultancy over two weeks or so. I liked them alot, they are into new ideas and working with client aiming for new cloud technology and replacing the old systems and applications. They also rated me and so yesterday, I received a verbal offer, which significantly less than my previous contact, but who cares? I genuinely want commercial experience of native cloud technology on my CV. Today, they listened to my objection about my contract rate, I told them my minimum rate, and they raised it to slight less than my previous contract rate. I just signed the paperwork. New contract runs up to the end of the year with the usual promise of rolling onwards another 3 or 6 months. (I will believe it, when I see it, as the usual advice about notice period and all of that good stuff.) Start next week or the week after that. Less than a month on the bleeding bench!

Boomed!!!

My advice is to cast your fishing net high and wide. I phone interviewed for a few gigs upto 135 miles away from home, which meant I considered LAFHA for the very first time. I was prepared to go away from home for around 3-4 months, but in the end my new gig is very local to me. Keep searching. Practising for several telephone and F2F interviews helped me.
              Last edited by rocktronAMP; 4 August 2017, 16:47.

Comment

Good to hear some positive news, for a change, Guys
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Another one here

Another one with good news guys

I was on the bench for a month and felt a little fed up after two interviews had looked so promising. Went into my third interview thinking i'm not too bothered either way as I had two permanent roles lined up but ended up receiving an offer on the contract! Phone interview, face to face and immediate offer received on the same day. £550 a day for 6 months and start on Monday. Let's all keep it up!

Comment

In an almost completely unscientific way this sounds encouraging!
                    Last edited by SussexSeagull; 5 August 2017, 14:08.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                      In a almost completely unscientific way this sounds encouraging!
                      Especially as it is in a traditionally quiet period.

Comment

Working...
                      X