• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interim Role vs BAU Role (disguised as a permie)?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interim Role vs BAU Role (disguised as a permie)?

Hi all,

Where is the line drawn between an Interim Role and a BAU role (disguised as a permie)?

Interested...

Thanks,
    Untouchable1

Confusing question

BAU doesn't necc = disguised as an employee. Presumably it's for a fixed term / duration of a project, tender or cover period?
    Lisa: "Gary, you can't blame yourself for what gorillas did."

Comment

Originally posted by Untouchable1 View Post
      Where is the line drawn between an Interim Role and a BAU role (disguised as a permie)?
      Over there. Left a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Untouchable1 View Post
        Hi all,

Interested...

Thanks,
        Untouchable1
        Good question!

Although it's a very grey I believe BAU can still be considered not as a disguised permie.

For example, say new functionality needs to be added to a system such as a margining system calculating the results but doesn't as yet have report generation capability and they don't have the necessary expertise within the team hence a project is created to add this functionality for which a contractor is required. In my opinion this satisfies both being a BAU role (as the system is already in place) but is not necessarily a disguised permie role.

If in the above instance a contractor was asked to come in and work on JIRAs for the pre-existing BAU system, I think it is a much more grey area. It could be argued that the contractor is being engaged to fix problems with the initial implementation as they have the expertise to do so.

Comment

Ah the one liner question that takes pages and pages to answer properly. Don't you just love them.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
            Good question!

Although it's a very grey I believe BAU can still be considered not as a disguised permie.

For example, say new functionality needs to be added to a system such as a margining system calculating the results but doesn't as yet have report generation capability and they don't have the necessary expertise within the team hence a project is created to add this functionality for which a contractor is required. In my opinion this satisfies both being a BAU role (as the system is already in place) but is not necessarily a disguised permie role.

If in the above instance a contractor was asked to come in and work on JIRAs for the pre-existing BAU system, I think it is a much more grey area. It could be argued that the contractor is being engaged to fix problems with the initial implementation as they have the expertise to do so.
            I think that's not the best example of BAU by a long way. Maybe if you are considering agile development as a BAU process but you couldn't have picked a more grey example. Fix things, change things, new functionality. These are not really the cornerstone of a BAU gig.

Comment

IMO there isn't a line that we can describe to you with any confidence. Every situation will differ depending on contract terms, duration, reason for using contingent resource and so on. You could have a BAU one that's clearly outside but a short term project one thats completely inside so there is no way we can answer that question as asked.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I think that's not the best example of BAU by a long way. Maybe if you are considering agile development as a BAU process but you couldn't have picked a more grey example. Fix things, change things, new functionality. These are not really the cornerstone of a BAU gig.
                Perhaps... it was my starter for 10

Hopefully someone else will take up the mantle and provide a better example

Comment

1st line service desk?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    IMO there isn't a line that we can describe to you with any confidence. Every situation will differ depending on contract terms, duration, reason for using contingent resource and so on. You could have a BAU one that's clearly outside but a short term project one thats completely inside so there is no way we can answer that question as asked.
                    ^^ This.

Comment

Working...
                    X