• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving into Programming from derivatives ops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving into Programming from derivatives ops

I'm looking to move into programming from a 16 year derivates operations background contracting in settlements, static data etc. My question is what programming skills are most in demand where i can use my derivatives background ? I was thinking of starting with SQL, then move to c# and python. Any advise and guidance is highly appreciated. Thx

Originally posted by giggs View Post
    I'm looking to move into programming from a 16 year derivates operations background contracting in settlements, static data etc. My question is what programming skills are most in demand where i can use my derivatives background ? I was thinking of starting with SQL, then move to c# and python. Any advise and guidance is highly appreciated. Thx
    Good luck...

If I were starting now I'd miss out the C# and probably go Python then SQL.

Some might say if you've got a 16 year derivatives ops background why on earth would you want to move into programming? Given the rampant ageism(*) that exists in programming, I would only do it if you're really sure of what you're getting yourself into.

* - Perhaps a sweeping generalisation and open to discussion but is a topic that's been discussed numerous times online.
    Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 15 April 2016, 14:30.

Comment

thx

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
      Good luck...

If I were starting now I'd miss out the C# and probably go Python then SQL.

Some might say if you've got a 16 year derivatives ops background why on earth would you want to move into programming? Given the rampant ageism(*) that exists in programming, I would only do it if you're really sure of what you're getting yourself into.

* - Perhaps a sweeping generalisation and open to discussion but is a topic that's been discussed numerous times online.
      Lack of opportunities in my field has forced me to expand my horizons but enjoy the aspects SQL and Python where your're creating things & resolving problems.

Comment

Not a clue about languages but there are a couple of posts that might be of interest.

Sticky of online learning resources.
        http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...resources.html

Question about a poster helping a mate get in to it. Might be something in there useful.
        http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...-resource.html

Don't forget though, to get contracts you need demonstrable skills and plenty of it. There will be queue of skilled guys for each roles so it's going to be incredibly difficult to switch contracting. Is going perm an option at all? At least you can get some training and something on the CV while you re-skill and then come back to contracting when you've got saleable skills?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Not a clue about languages but there are a couple of posts that might be of interest.

Sticky of online learning resources.
          http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...resources.html

Question about a poster helping a mate get in to it. Might be something in there useful.
          http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...-resource.html

Don't forget though, to get contracts you need demonstrable skills and plenty of it. There will be queue of skilled guys for each roles so it's going to be incredibly difficult to switch contracting. Is going perm an option at all? At least you can get some training and something on the CV while you re-skill and then come back to contracting when you've got saleable skills?
          Thx. I suppose going perm is a option but at a stage with 3 kids where u can't take too much of a salary cut but may have no choice.

Comment

Thx. I suppose going perm is a option but at a stage with 3 kids where u can't take too much of a salary cut but may have no choice.
            Cut? You'll get a massive increase!

Comment

Thx. Great links to useful related forums aswell you sent.

Comment

Also to tske into account is how much you learn and how much progress you make when you force yourself to do something with a goal and end result and how focused you becoe compared to learnig something without the pressure.

Comment

Also to tske into account is how much you learn and how much progress you make when you force yourself to do something with a goal and end result and how focused you becoe compared to learnig something without the pressure.
                  I'd mention your English but it appears it's NAT's time of the month so I'd better not

Comment

Working...
                  X