• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Politics....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    6 months for the price of weeks hotel?

Like I said before, you've got think of things like this. If what you say is true then fair enough.

But you've got to think about how much out of pocket you'll be if they can it early. Then decide how much of a risk it is. Then decided how much you're saving, then make the call.
    I think he's been reading MF's hotel threads.

London can be done as cheaply or as expensively as you want. I generally try to find the cheapest satisfactory hotel (obviously satisfaction is in the opinion of the individual). Lockable en-suite room and free WIFI is generally enough as I tend to negotiate working late Mon-Thurs and early dash on a Friday so don't spend much time awake in the accommodation.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      I tend to negotiate working late Mon-Thurs and early dash on a Friday so don't spend much time awake in the accommodation, or whilst I'm working.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        I think he's been reading MF's hotel threads.

London can be done as cheaply or as expensively as you want. I generally try to find the cheapest satisfactory hotel (obviously satisfaction is in the opinion of the individual). Lockable en-suite room and free WIFI is generally enough as I tend to negotiate working late Mon-Thurs and early dash on a Friday so don't spend much time awake in the accommodation.

For the first week(s) of the contract, go cheap and cheerful. Once you (and the client) have decided you're staying a bit longer then consider looking at something better.

Never organise accommodation with a longer termination clause than you have in your contract with the client unless you are prepared to suck it up, and never organise long term accommodation until you know the area, the commute, etc.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I had a seven year contract with a 0 day notice period from the client and 1 week from me.

My current gig had no notice period from my end and a 1 month from the client. I asked for and got parity.

I usually ask for parity on the notice periods. So if its a week from the client then I ask for a week from me, month / month and so on. Its not been an issue yet and always got it.

If a contract is tulip I might want to move on so I do want a notice period wherever possible. I probably wouldn't turn down a gig though if I was locked in though. As long as I felt pretty comfortable it wasn't going to be a nightmare gig (as much as you can anyway).
          Last edited by dx4100; 18 April 2016, 10:13.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            For the first week(s) of the contract, go cheap and cheerful. Once you (and the client) have decided you're staying a bit longer then consider looking at something better.

Never organise accommodation with a longer termination clause than you have in your contract with the client unless you are prepared to suck it up, and never organise long term accommodation until you know the area, the commute, etc.
            Or unless you get such a good deal its worth taking the risk.....
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Or unless you get such a good deal its worth taking the risk.....

I know you emboldened part of a sentence, but the bit you didn't was the clause "unless you are prepared to suck it up"

That means 2 things - 1. You're prepared to take the risk and 2. You're not going to start a thread complaining about it.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
              X