• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Politics....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dougie800 View Post
    Is that IR35 compliant?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Received the contract early this morning and looks like I'm stuck with this assignment for the full 6 months. Conditions state that the consultant company cannot give notice - full duration of Assignment has to be completed. Only under exceptional circumstances and subject to the agencys agreement the
      Contractor may terminate the Assignment on 2 months written notice.

Is this fair terms? The assignment lasts 21 weeks now as its taken so long to get things in place.
      Up to you. 6 months is a tad long in my book for no notice but its not uncommon is the no notice thing. Im on no notice but 3 month chunks.

I guess you take it, leave it or try to get it changed. Possibly agent knew this would not be popular clause....
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        OP. Agents like to do this IMHO. Send you an email and expect you to confirm based on this. How can you accept terms you've never seen?

Of course, if they don't send you the actual contract before you start then its a done deal once you're on site. They'd rather do this than send you a contract, you get it reviewed, then waste they're time arguing about clauses.

Fair enough, tell them you accept subject to contract but tell them nothing happens until you get the contract and get it reviewed. They'll try all sorts like, client is going to pull out because they won't delay, no-one has ever asked for contract before, our contracts are standard so we wont change them anyway, our contracts are the best IR35 friendly ones in the business. All bulltulip.

As for booking accommodation and committing to 6 months, are you insane?
        Even if all this contact stuff is resolved, what happens if you're there a month and client decides to can you? It happens. You need to think about things like that.

I never used to buy a long train season ticket just in case. Until I found out it was only £10 to cancel it anyway!

Even if I'd been at a client for ages I still would be concerned about committing to something like 6 months rent. Unless there was a get out. Or taking the risk of having to pay the whole term saved me a lot of money (i.e. cheaper than hotels)? Still a risk....

BTW - the thing about the rate cut before interview. Hmmm possibly they saw you coming too and the client never cut the rate and its going in the agents back pocket. But at least you clawed some back.
        It was mentioned on another thread that when the agent mentions the rate cut before the interview that you can bring it up the state of the project finances based on this rate cut in the interview. If the client doesn't know about it then the agent is having you on.

Comment

OP You have a 6 month contract and have laid out 6 months money on London Accommodation (can't be cheap), the planets have aligned, count yourself lucky and get on with it!

Comment

Thanks for all your advice so far. What do you make of the fact that there is a trial period in which i can be terminated at any time for any reason whatsoever! Isn't that permie stuff?

Comment

Thanks for all your advice so far. What do you make of the fact that there is a trial period in which i can be terminated at any time for any reason whatsoever! Isn't that permie stuff?
              That does sound permie, I'd flag that up. Contractors can be walked at any time, before gig, during, and at the end. Nature of contracting.

Good Luck. We're all counting on you.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Yep which is exactly why we've told you to push for a contract and get it checked by a professional.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Name the agency (or give a hint), and someone will be able to tell you how buggered you are. And for the next time, if there is one, the minute the agent tells you the rate is being cut "due to budget constraints" - it's total bullcrap, and tell them to do one. Contract roles need sign-off, and if there was no budget, there would have been no sign-off. It's an expensive way to learn, but at least some of it is tax deductible (or at least it used to be).
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    Name the agency (or give a hint), and someone will be able to tell you how buggered you are. And for the next time, if there is one, the minute the agent tells you the rate is being cut "due to budget constraints" - it's total bullcrap, and tell them to do one. Contract roles need sign-off, and if there was no budget, there would have been no sign-off. It's an expensive way to learn, but at least some of it is tax deductible (or at least it used to be).
                    Hint...periodic table.

The rate was cut prior to interview, but the agency apparently spoke to the client on my behalf and the client agreed a small increase.

Comment

Hint...periodic table.

The rate was cut prior to interview, but the agency apparently spoke to the client on my behalf and the client agreed a small increase.
                      Not enough of a clue, give me a number (on the table). What you are describing almost never happens. The most likely scenario is that the agency were properly shafting you from the start, and rather than risk a commission they agreed to up your rate. Just enough to chuck you a bone, and make you think they were doing you a favour.
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X