• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client asking to go permanent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    The dishes don't clean themselves you know.

What does your butler do all day?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      What does your butler do all day?
      Butler? I have a wife, I don't need a butler.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Shows that your perm rates weren't high enough.

I don't care what other perms are on; if they want me to go perm, it's got to be enough to maintain my lifestyle keep the enemy in handbags.
        I agree - but starting the conversation off made them start to compare it to their salary enviously

so stay low and move fast

Comment

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
          I agree - but starting the conversation off made them start to compare it to their salary enviously

so stay low and move fast
          I didn't let it get as far as salary discussions; I just politely declined and said that project-based work interested me far more than supporting what I'd developed.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Took the shilling

I accepted an offer from one of my good clients - I was asked to name a figure I'd be happy with. I asked for a salary which was pretty close to my contract rate, which they went for. Great offices, amazing benefits, travel to far off climbs and training available etc etc, took about a year to see that their promises were mostly a smokescreen and the work never got anymore interesting and the politics were awful. I did get to travel but everything was last minute rather than well planned.

After just under three years 10% of the company were made redundant (with a week above the statutory minimum redundancy) and then another 10% let go six months later, I was out on my arse and now back contracting happily for the last year. Up to you - but I have to say never again!!!

Comment

Nice post Kingmob. Good to hear some real life examples as we can only assume most of the time..

Although to be fair you do say never again. You seem to have landed on your feet all round here, even with the redundancy to be honest. I don't really see a downside here at all. IMO no job is for life so even permie I expect to move at some point, have done all my life. I haven't been with an employer more than 6 years in my entire life and even that was with multiple roles.

3 years on almost contractor rates to be back in the system, learn, pop out and go contracting again sounds like a dream. I'd be more than happy with that situation to be honest.

But either way, thanks for the post. Interesting.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Nice post Kingmob. Good to hear some real life examples as we can only assume most of the time..

Although to be fair you do say never again. You seem to have landed on your feet all round here, even with the redundancy to be honest. I don't really see a downside here at all. IMO no job is for life so even permie I expect to move at some point, have done all my life. I haven't been with an employer more than 6 years in my entire life and even that was with multiple roles.

3 years on almost contractor rates to be back in the system, learn, pop out and go contracting again sounds like a dream. I'd be more than happy with that situation to be honest.

But either way, thanks for the post. Interesting.
                6 years with an employer? Are you sure AYCOTBAC?
                over last 10 years and i had 7 employers and 3 contracts with max 1y 8months on the job

Comment

I have been asked 3 times in this 6 month gig to go perm (name a salary and all that jazz). Politely declined each time and the head honcho (boss of time sheet approver) recently had a go and I said no thanks. He replied i will try again in 3 months i have lots of work i want you to manage....

Comment

Originally posted by Mincepie View Post
                    I have been asked 3 times in this 6 month gig to go perm (name a salary and all that jazz). Politely declined each time and the head honcho (boss of time sheet approver) recently had a go and I said no thanks. He replied i will try again in 3 months i have lots of work i want you to manage....
                    why be taxed @20% when you will be taxed at 40% after 33k ? no brainer, take the job

Comment

Originally posted by Mincepie View Post
                      Oooh, look who's heading towards part and parcel

Comment

Working...
                      X