• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Acceptable number of previous contracts over a set period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    For my short contracts, it's usually because the budget's been pulled or the project was in a tail-spin.

So my answer is generally 'it's the market/climate' or 'I completed what I was brought in to provide to the project' and point to other projects where I've been in contract for 2+ years.

I'm also happy to provide references for short contracts if they're still worried. It's never been an issue for me.
    Totally this. It's pretty easy to spot the difference between a capable contractor and someone that just bounces from gig to gig if the interview is carried out properly. Someone that knows contractors and understands why they are brought in will appreciate that sometimes the gig is short and delivered properly.

The only person that should worry about having too many short gigs is then one that's constantly being bounced. To them it's a problem. To those that delivered and moved on its a flag to wave IMO.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      For my short contracts, it's usually because the budget's been pulled or the project was in a tail-spin.

So my answer is generally 'it's the market/climate' or 'I completed what I was brought in to provide to the project' and point to other projects where I've been in contract for 2+ years.

I'm also happy to provide references for short contracts if they're still worried. It's never been an issue for me.
      Good suggestions and if I'd have got far enough would have made similar points in an interview if it cropped up as a concern.

What has surprised me is that agencies don't seem overly concerned about it and have put me forward for roles hence it's more an issue with hiring managers. In this particular instance my gut feeling is that the development manager had more of a permie hiring mindset. If I was a permie with a number of 3 or 6 months roles then I can understand it being an issue... but not as a contractor.

Looking at some of my previous contractor colleague profiles on LinkedIn I've seen some with very short stints with one notable person having a succession of 1 month contracts followed by a couple of 3 monthers yet their most recent contracts have been 1.5 and 1 year (so far).

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Someone that knows contractors and understands why they are brought in will appreciate that sometimes the gig is short and delivered properly.
        Definitely this.

To those that delivered and moved on its a flag to wave IMO.
        Yeah... I'm hoping that I'll be able to wave that flag shortly. At the end of the last contract I genuinely had one of the best emails of thanks for a project well delivered that I've had in my time as a contractor so far.

The only person that should worry about having too many short gigs is then one that's constantly being bounced. To them it's a problem.
        I'm guessing when you say constantly being bounced you mean the client terminating the contract or not offering a renewal rather than the other way around.

Comment

Because of the type of work I do I have quite a few 3 - 4 months contracts on my cv but also a couple 1 year ones with some major IT companies in the last 6 years, was refused a contract a few months ago because of the big number of contracts on my CV. I have now removed a number of the three months one, just leaving the gaps open t seems to generate a bigger response form agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            Because of the type of work I do I have quite a few 3 - 4 months contracts on my cv but also a couple 1 year ones with some major IT companies in the last 6 years, was refused a contract a few months ago because of the big number of contracts on my CV. I have now removed a number of the three months one, just leaving the gaps open t seems to generate a bigger response form agencies.
            Isn't it a shame that you have to go to those sort of lengths though?

I know other contractors who would remove complete 6 month contracts from their CV and then stretch their previous contracts to say something like 2014-15 even though in reality it was only July 2014-Jan 2015 to make previous roles look longer than they were. I would imagine this causes issues in the likes of Investment Banks (or indeed any financial services company) when they follow up on exact dates. Saying that, one contractor I know who targets roles in IBs uses this precise approach and he's never had an issue.

While historically I've been opposed at using this approach as I prefer everything to be totally accurate, if it improves chances of getting a role I'm happy enough to try it.

Does anyone else think it's acceptable (or unacceptable) to remove roles or to manipulate dates as described above)?
            Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 16 April 2016, 17:33.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
              Does anyone else think it's acceptable (or unacceptable) to remove roles or to manipulate dates as described above)?
              IMO you do it straight or not at all. If you have to manipulate your CV to the point if it not being a true reflection then you deserve everything that will happen to you when you get caught. There is absolutely no reason to do this if you are good at what you do. I've seen a few contractors walked because checks find they have been liberal with the truth. It only takes one banking gig to dig a little and find out the CV isn't telling the real tale.

It's just not for me and don't see why people need to do this.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've been at companies as a contractor and been involved in hiring consultants - in some companies I've heard permies say if someone moves more than a few times over 2 years then they must be skittish, and I've heard others say if a contractor stays at one place for more than a couple of years then they mustn't be any good!!

generally if you can show at some point you've had a couple of stints longer than a year and extensions then I wouldn't worry - can never please everyone.

Comment

IMO you do it straight or not at all. If you have to manipulate your CV to the point if it not being a true reflection then you deserve everything that will happen to you when you get caught. There is absolutely no reason to do this if you are good at what you do. I've seen a few contractors walked because checks find they have been liberal with the truth. It only takes one banking gig to dig a little and find out the CV isn't telling the real tale.

It's just not for me and don't see why people need to do this.
                  It's not really for me either hence not having done it before.

With respect to removing roles I completely agree. However, in the example of 2014-15 dates I mentioned above it is not strictly speaking untrue, just a different spin on the dates.

It's interesting to hear what other people think and how far they're prepared to go...

Comment

Originally posted by slogger View Post
                    I've been at companies as a contractor and been involved in hiring consultants - in some companies I've heard permies say if someone moves more than a few times over 2 years then they must be skittish, and I've heard others say if a contractor stays at one place for more than a couple of years then they mustn't be any good!!

generally if you can show at some point you've had a couple of stints longer than a year and extensions then I wouldn't worry - can never please everyone.
                    Very true. I've had a couple of stints of 2 years after which I think it would be hard to be considered anything other than a pseudo permie.

There's a happy balance in there somewhere, I just don't know what it is right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                      Very true. I've had a couple of stints of 2 years after which I think it would be hard to be considered anything other than a pseudo permie.

There's a happy balance in there somewhere, I just don't know what it is right now.
                      i just think it varies - cant please all of the clients all of the time :-) I've done mostly 18 months at clients - usually 6x3month contracts or 3x6 months, max is 3.5 years, however done quite a few short ones (6 weeks - then client went bust, 3 months a few times ) - i would be a bit suspicious if someone had only done a few weeks here and there with lots of time off - but then again one of the best contractors I know just does 6 months a year and then goes cycling the rest of the time.

Comment

Working...
                      X