• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving contract midway

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Leaving in the 1st week is not a big deal. Even if role 2 is within IR35 it sounds much more attractive then role 1. I would switch.
    Really?, I would say the opposite...

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
      Really?, I would say the opposite...
      I think what he means is better week one before he's done anything than week 4 onwards where a lot of time has been spent getting up to speed that would need repeating. That is the only benefit, the agent is still gonna go schizo has he's going to have to work for his revenue stream and the client has now got at a week or more delay to what they were doing so no one is going to be pleased to say the least.

I'm with Brillo though, I'd stick with the harder one and be a proper contractor. Taking the inside IR35 gig just because is easy is a little but lame IMO. You are gonna get hard gigs from time to time. If you are going to spend your contracting career ducking out of them you are going to lose a lot of brass. Time to man up and see it through. See it as a personal challenge. It's only for a couple months of your life......
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Currently reading a good book called something like "How not to give a ****" . So applying to this situation and whether you should give a **** or not.

OK from your first post you mention giving notice so I assume we're talking actual proper contractual notice here. So if you do this:-

1. Client will likely be upset. NOPE. Not really. Sorry.

2. Client will possibly never let you work there in future. YES. I might care about this one so need to think about it. I agree 1st week will upset them even more.

3. Agent will be upset. NOPE NOT A LOT I CARE LESS ABOUT.

4. Agent says never work from them again. NOPE. Its a lie and there are plenty of agencies.

5. Other people on this forum will call you unprofessional. BIGGEST ONE EVER NOT TO CARE ABOUT (OK dead heat with number 3). Don't believe they wouldnt do the same if it was them despite what they may post.

6. Reputation may get around and block further work. YES. Need to consider this. Don't make a habit of it.

7. Will your actions affect your ability to gain contracts in the future and/or provide for your family. YES. THE BIGGEST 'GIVE A ****' THAT OVERRIDES THEM ALL!!!!!

Fully expect some other members of the forum to disagree!
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by konsultant View Post
          Thanks both of you for your replies so far.

What would you look as key decision point? My personal situation currently necessitate me to have an uninterrupted income for 2016 atleast.
          I'm in the same boat, definitely need a constant income until 2034

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Currently reading a good book called something like "How not to give a ****" . So applying to this situation and whether you should give a **** or not.

OK from your first post you mention giving notice so I assume we're talking actual proper contractual notice here. So if you do this:-

1. Client will likely be upset. NOPE. Not really. Sorry.

2. Client will possibly never let you work there in future. YES. I might care about this one so need to think about it. I agree 1st week will upset them even more.

3. Agent will be upset. NOPE NOT A LOT I CARE LESS ABOUT.

4. Agent says never work from them again. NOPE. Its a lie and there are plenty of agencies.

5. Other people on this forum will call you unprofessional. BIGGEST ONE EVER NOT TO CARE ABOUT (OK dead heat with number 3). Don't believe they wouldnt do the same if it was them despite what they may post.

6. Reputation may get around and block further work. YES. Need to consider this. Don't make a habit of it.

7. Will your actions affect your ability to gain contracts in the future and/or provide for your family. YES. THE BIGGEST 'GIVE A ****' THAT OVERRIDES THEM ALL!!!!!

Fully expect some other members of the forum to disagree!
            I've read a book that has this type of content in it. It's called 'How to be a tulip permatractor and how not to run a business properly.'

A supplier that doesn't give a tulip about his clients or the people that get him the work. When claiming JSA is more important to him that keeping the other players in the chain onside... Says it all really.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks all for your helpful, witty and encouraging replies

Comment

Don't believe they wouldnt do the same if it was them despite what they may post.
                8. Look at what PC suggests, then do exactly the opposite. This works in 99% of cases.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Do you know what? I do find it amusing that my views on claiming JSA seem to wind some of you up so much.

I could start a thread about what I had to eat for lunch and one of you would bring up JSA.

Get over it - we've got a difference of opinion. I'm not going to change my mind and I guess neither are you. I'm going to continue to claim JSA when I can. Deal with it.

If you don't like it DO I GIVE A ****? NOPE.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Do you know what? I do find it amusing that my views on claiming JSA seem to wind some of you up so much.

I could start a thread about what I had to eat for lunch and one of you would bring up JSA.

Get over it - we've got a difference of opinion. I'm not going to change my mind and I guess neither are you. I'm going to continue to claim JSA when I can. Deal with it.

If you don't like it DO I GIVE A ****? NOPE.
                    News just in... 'PC uses JSA handouts to pay for his Prawn Sandwiches' shocker!

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                      News just in... 'PC uses JSA handouts to pay for his Prawn Sandwiches' shocker!

Comment

Working...
                      X