• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Returning to work after long break - cv?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a different between cheap and low paid gigs.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Really? You'd do one but not the other?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

What's the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Really? You'd do one but not the other?
          Yes really and what's that got to do with anything?

Comment

Yes really and what's that got to do with anything?
            Cheap v low paid - I'm still trying to figure out the difference. They're both trying to get a person in for far less than they should.

Or are you saying that one is trying to get away with getting a £350 a day contractor in for £210 a day while the other is accepting that they will get a £210 a day contractor?
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Cheap v low paid - I'm still trying to figure out the difference. They're both trying to get a person in for far less than they should.

Or are you saying that one is trying to get away with getting a £350 a day contractor in for £210 a day while the other is accepting that they will get a £210 a day contractor?
              I think NLUK is trying to be funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                What's the difference?
                Well you said...

Go cheap can work with a perm but not in contracting. After the break, I followed in that mistake suggested by the agency, and I discover that the agency was taking 50% but the client was paying the the agency the same as the others. You are not beneficiating the client but the agency.
                That's going cheap. By not negotiating properly, understand the market and so on you've lost out by being cheap to the agent. The client is now getting a contractor that is only worth half of what they wanted. The client could be wanting a £400 a day contractor, he gets a £200 one... and as a side note.. to be letting an agent take 50% of your rate makes you look like a right chump.. I wouldn't be mentioning that one again if I were you. That's disgraceful. You could argue you are part of the problem letting them get away with that... if it's even true....

Maybe a better example would be a contractor saying they will take £300 when the gig is advertised at £400 but still... it's cheap compared to clients expectations.

As for going cheap, you've clearly never been involved in NHS or Wipro projects.
                LM said this which will be advertised at a miserly rate. They will get the dregs of the what's left but pay for that and expect it. They are paying £200 a day and get a £200 a day contractor

In both cases the contractor only get's £200... One is cheap, one is a low rate. Different things.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 31 March 2016, 11:37.

Comment

He doesn't have a sense of humour that he's aware of.

HTHBIDI

Comment

That's where most of your problems lie. The rest is something to do with speaking or typing.. I'd cut back on all of them if I were you.

Comment

Rather than having your CV in a chronological order you could tailor it to the roles you are applying to by listing the key skills you would be supplying, support that with a case study approach then listing the previous roles later on in the CV e.g page 2, that way you may have more of a chance of a recruiter identifying you based on your skills and abilities for the role rather than instantly looking at the career break, a lot wouldn't even look at the second page, that way you could at least get a foot in and explain the career break at a later date in person?

Comment

Working...
                      X