• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have You Ever Taken A Contract Well Below Your Skillset/Level? Would You Do It Again?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Every gig there is is below my skill level...

HTH
    But not your modesty level
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      But not your modesty level
      He has much to be modest about.

Comment

With only 3 months warchest, is contracting the right thing for you to be doing at the moment?

It's a massive gamble with such a small amount of cash behind you.

You might be fine, but then again....

Comment

I'd do anything legal/ethical for three months if I needed the money. Three years is a long time to put up with stuff, but three months is not.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            With only 3 months warchest, is contracting the right thing for you to be doing at the moment?

It's a massive gamble with such a small amount of cash behind you.

You might be fine, but then again....
            Given how much quicker it is to achieve a warchest while contracting cf being permie, I really don't understand your point ?

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
              Given how much quicker it is to achieve a warchest while contracting cf being permie, I really don't understand your point ?

Boo
              Well, it is quite common advice on here that starting contracting requires a decent warchest of savings to tide you over during lean times (contracts falling through, taking a while to get the second contract etc etc).

Surprised you haven't seen that on here before.

I am quite aware of quick a warchest can grow, just pointing out that 3 months warchest might not be big enough to start contracting with.

I really don't understand how you cannot understand my point.

In fact, the OP is slap bang in the middle of why contractors need warchests - time off due to illness, followed by a 2.5 month drought since he started looking.

He even is aware of how long he can last if he doesn't pick something up.
              Last edited by jmo21; 30 March 2016, 14:10.

Comment

Well, it is quite common advice on here that starting contracting requires a decent warchest of savings to tide you over during lean times (contracts falling through, taking a while to get the second contract etc etc).

Surprised you haven't seen that on here before.

I am quite aware of quick a warchest can grow, just pointing out that 3 months warchest might not be big enough to start contracting with.

I really don't understand how you cannot understand my point.

In fact, the OP is slap bang in the middle of why contractors need warchests - time off due to illness, followed by a 2.5 month drought since he started looking.

He even is aware of how long he can last if he doesn't pick something up.
                The OP isn't starting out, he is a Contractor who has had a couple of dry spells for various reasons.

He had a war chest that is running low as a result.

As above, I'd take the gig, bank the money, look for a new gig in the meantime and leave the crap bits of the job off the CV.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  The OP isn't starting out, he is a Contractor who has had a couple of dry spells for various reasons.

He had a war chest that is running low as a result.

As above, I'd take the gig, bank the money, look for a new gig in the meantime and leave the crap bits of the job off the CV.
                  I did notices that, but I'd say it applies to anyone who has a 3 month warchest, and had a large spell out.

It's my advice to the OP, if others "don't understand" my point, that's up to them.

And yes, with a gig in hand, certainly take it, and go from there.

Comment

I did notices that, but I'd say it applies to anyone who has a 3 month warchest, and had a large spell out.

It's my advice to the OP, if others "don't understand" my point, that's up to them.

So you'd advise someone like that who has a contract offer (but as far as we know, not a perm offer) to stop contracting?

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                      So you'd advise someone like that who has a contract offer (but as far as we know, not a perm offer) to stop contracting?
                      No, but I can see why folks were questioning now.

Comment

Working...
                      X