• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client mobile phone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You did get your contract checked for IR35 and get an Ipse+ membership didn't you?
    You missed the link off, so I'll add it - join here.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Dont see what all the fuss is about. Most of us dont moan when client gives you PC/laptop so whats the difference?

Its just a business tool that the client wants you to use - like a PC. Fair enough I wouldnt use for private calls etc AT ALL but if client wants me to have I'll have.

Most places I find though just expect contractor to use own mobile. I dont have issue with this or people phoning me out of hours as long as its known its my personal mobile and:-

1. Dont take the piss.
      2. Give out my number to everyone.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        You missed the link off, so I'll add it - join here.
        Ohhh that's low!! I couldn't dig my number out in time... Sleep with one eye open tonight Mister!!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Dont see what all the fuss is about. Most of us dont moan when client gives you PC/laptop so whats the difference?

Its just a business tool that the client wants you to use - like a PC. Fair enough I wouldnt use for private calls etc AT ALL but if client wants me to have I'll have.

Most places I find though just expect contractor to use own mobile. I dont have issue with this or people phoning me out of hours as long as its known its my personal mobile and:-

1. Dont take the piss.
          2. Give out my number to everyone.
          Wow... You just can't see past the end of your face can you. A disguised permie probably can't see the fuss. A laptop is completely different as it has all sort of security issues and the client hasn't got to grips with BYOD yet. A phone is a phone.

It's a personal phone? I thought you'd put it through the business?

To be honest, being given a laptop is about the only thing you don't moan about.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 30 March 2016, 09:47.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Fried air for £245/y. Nice, ah?
            One must be extremely stupid to get this......

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
              Add up the price of getting comparable cover elsewhere and see how it compares. Then add on the intangible benefits. Then add on the optional things like Advantages and the financial products that are available.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Hahah totally!

Lets hope your agency doesn't go bust while you're on jury duty, eh?
                World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Add up the price of getting comparable cover elsewhere and see how it compares. Then add on the intangible benefits. Then add on the optional things like Advantages and the financial products that are available.
                  •Lobbying for you with Government and industry

No price is low enough for something I don't need.
                  IOW you indigenous people are overfed with consumerism and simply buy stuff you don't need. I am really sorry for you.

On the topic: don't worry about the phone. Just don't accept it/ use it.
                  In all contracts I sign I add a clause that all equipment will be supplied by myself, subject to client's security reqs.
                  All my contracts were examined by HMRC as part of VAT inspection and everything was OK. Even got a letter of apology by HMRC.
                  Last edited by garnet; 30 March 2016, 09:45.

Comment

No price is low enough for something I don't need.
                    IOW you indigenous people are overfed with consumerism and simply buy stuff you don't need. I am really sorry for you.
                    Part of me wishes that I had your sense of security. But at least you get the benefit of every success
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Wow... You just can't see past the end of your face can you. A disguised permie probably can't see the fuss. A laptop is completely different as it has all sort of security issues and the client hasn't got to grips with BYOD yet. A phone is a phone.

It's a personal phone? I thought you'd put it through the business?

To be honest, being given a laptop is about the only thing you don't moan about.
                      NLUK - you are talking complete tulipe. There is no way in this world or the next that the client giving you a mobile phone to use for the purpose of the work you're doing for them is going to make an ounce of difference.

Not suggesting you start using it like a permie and using it for personal calls. That is probably a bit too much.

Do you also refuse to use the phone that they may place on your desk? do you look at it, fold your arms and say I'm not a permie so I'm not using your permie phone?

End of the day, its no big deal. Pick your battles. In my experience, contractor who plays silly buggers and acts like an awkward git (FOR NO GOOD REASON - this bit is important!) ends up completely outside IR35 with no contract.

But no my phone is personal. Looked into business tariffs and it was not worth the tax savings or hassle.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X