• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Face to face id check, copy of degree certificate, dividend frequency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    I recently had to do a Skype session while holding up my passport photo page - which was a new one on me

Very disappointed that the bird doing the compliance that sounded so hot on the phone turned out to be a bit of a dragon
    Had to do that for EasyCarClub recently (true London contractors don't own cars)
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      OP, what is your Opt in/out status? If you are Opted In they are obliged to carry out more diligence on you than opted out.
      Opted out. They realise that they don't have a legal need for a lot of it. Reasons included providing a good service to the client, protecting themselves, looking out for the contractor (ie the question about dividends to prompt the contractor to manage the company finances properly.) I pointed out that it's not their concern and a contractor's accountant, or HMRC! will police that. If I wanted to be mummied I'd have gone perm.

I've gone along with most of it apart from vague answer to dividends which they were happy with anyway. I misunderstood the A level certificate thing. It's whatever your highest qualification is so if you have a degree they're not interested in A levels.

Originally posted by newmove View Post
      is this Allegis group?
      Yup.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Surely you've sussed this out by now? Always assume this is the case and wait to be proven otherwise... For some reason you rarely are.
      I met the compliance person earlier to go through it all and she was very pleasant in this case.

Comment

[QUOTE=javadude;2227784]

Originally Posted by newmove
        is this Allegis group?

Yup.

QUOTE]

I feel your pain, I had to jump through all these hoops 10 months ago when I started my current gig, (even though I had worked for them previously, for the exact same clientco.) the end result was I had to travel to Bracknell for a face to face, the girl literaly took my passport off me, photo copied it, handed it me back and said thanks for coming. (which really p--d me off it being Friday afternoon and all that and 170 mile round trip.

Comment

Was just about to ask about this...

I agree, I challenge every attempt to take identity documents, who knows what they do with it, or whose hands it ends up in. I have a mate who lived in Oz for 4 years and got back to find someone had been using his identity for 3 years, running up debts everywhere. Took him 6 months to prove it wasn't him and clear the mess up.

For the second time out of my last 3 contracts, the agency has just demanded a copy of my passport, they said 'to confirm my identity'. Trouble is, they have never met me, and the previous agency I contracted through for 2 years never met me either. How is that confirming the person on the passport is the person turning up to do the work? Its BS.

Comment

Originally posted by Yonmons View Post
            I feel your pain, I had to jump through all these hoops 10 months ago when I started my current gig, (even though I had worked for them previously, for the exact same clientco.) the end result was I had to travel to Bracknell for a face to face, the girl literaly took my passport off me, photo copied it, handed it me back and said thanks for coming. (which really p--d me off it being Friday afternoon and all that and 170 mile round trip.
            Ouch.

Originally posted by mdw View Post
            For the second time out of my last 3 contracts, the agency has just demanded a copy of my passport, they said 'to confirm my identity'. Trouble is, they have never met me, and the previous agency I contracted through for 2 years never met me either. How is that confirming the person on the passport is the person turning up to do the work? Its BS.
            Good point. It only really works if they meet you and the client together. I thought the "Are you a criminal?" form was fairly pointless unless they find some criminals who would answer that truthfully.

Comment

I only provide ID when I'm offered a contract, mostly through post office checking service, but one or two times the agency had a outlet in my town so I went there, to show it.

To meet an agent before any role is offered is a total waste of time and money. Fell for it once.

Comment

Did they not tell you they have a London office?

Comment

The current bank I am with don't ask for face to face ID via checking. They'll let you into induction but you cannot start work until you've handed them your passport or driving licence/birth certificate combo. Seems better than some HR agency droid doing it.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    The current bank I am with don't ask for face to face ID via checking. They'll let you into induction but you cannot start work until you've handed them your passport or driving licence/birth certificate combo. Seems better than some HR agency droid doing it.
                    I think that might be for a different thing. As a supplier of workers the agency have some responsibility to make sure that the person supplied is the person that turns up i.e. ID checking. The end client has a responsibility to make sure everyone working for them is eligible to do so. I think what you are describing is the latter.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You should get them to travel to see you.

Comment

Working...
                      X