• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Left permie position for contract but still not signed - mistake?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left permie position for contract but still not signed - mistake?

I am new to contract work so would like some advice on my current situation.

I recently interviewed at a big company through a recruiter for a 6 month contract and was offered the job. I then handed in my notice at my current job (I had to do this in order to negotiate my notice with my current employer) - however several days have passed now and the agent has still not sent me a contract to sign, I have asked for it a few times and they don't seem to be in a great rush - is this sort of thing normal or am I right to be a bit worried? I am completely new to contract work so not sure what to expect.

Nope it's fairly normal... As is the contract just evaporating while they wait for your notice unfortunately. If you've got a warchest behind you in case this gig falls though you'll be OK. If you haven't they yes I'd worry.

BTW. Pedantic point. You've applied for a gig or piece of work. You job is being a contractor. Pedantic but if you get your head round this now it's will save you a lot of confusion later.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 16 March 2016, 01:50.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What is your official notice period at the perm job? If its 1month+ then the agent probably isn't going to rush to get the paperwork done given they have a fair length of time

Comment

first rule of contracting a contract is never a contract until you have received it, read it, and then signed it. (even then I say you are never up and running until the first week is done, and the money is in the bank)
        I would never give notice until I have signed a contract. If its a "go er" the agent should be chasing you ragged to get it signed, if its the other way round I would be wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Yonmons View Post
          first rule of contracting a contract is never a contract until you have received it, read it, and then signed it. (even then I say you are never up and running until the first week is done, and the money is in the bank)
          I would never give notice until I have signed a contract. If its a "go er" the agent should be chasing you ragged to get it signed, if its the other way round I would be wondering.
          This!

My first ever contract(1988) I had the same. Agent twisting my arm to sign contract(I was refusing until client signed). He got in his boss, a buxom lady, to talk to me. She flashed a lot of cleavage. But I still refused to sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Yonmons View Post
            This & close thread nothing else to say really!

Comment

Start applying for other jobs in case the agent is playing games. If you don't have a chest of money to support you then you need to move quick in either getting this contract, finding a new one or begging your employer to let you stay on

Comment

I'd swallow my pride and ask for my old perm job back. Use this experience to better prepare you for the unpredictable and unreliable world of contracting. You need to look after number 1 in this game. There is no one on your side but you.

Comment

Well, when I jumped ship the 'contractor mentality' kicked in. Notice period, don't be daft you'll bring in more your first week contracting than the whole notice period. What they gonna do sack you?
                  You may find that in the future being 'immediately available' has it's advantages.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                    Well, when I jumped ship the 'contractor mentality' kicked in. Notice period, don't be daft you'll bring in more your first week contracting than the whole notice period. What they gonna do sack you?
                    You may find that in the future being 'immediately available' has it's advantages.
                    That's a bit of an anti-advice. At worse they can sue you, at the very least it will leave you on bad terms with your former employer, so don't expect good references. As a fresh contractor you need every bit of help to get the ball rolling.

Breaking contracts willy nilly is everything but a contractor mentality.

Comment

Working...
                    X